DELL DIMENSION 2400 WITH WINDOWS XP CD DRIVE WILL NOT WORK

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

DELL DIMENSION 2400 WITH WINDOWS XP CD DRIVE WILL NOT WORK

• Help!!!  What is supposed to be listed as my cd drive in device manager instead it says Floppy Disk Controller and then under it is the Floppy Disk Drive.  Something is definitely not right here.  Something has hijacked my cd drive.  Can Anyone Help.  Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards,

Mark T.

• Hi Mark,

Lets try Clearing the NVRAM, pleae click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 11, article 2. Find your system in the instructions listed bye Dell-ChrisM and run those.

Happy Holidays !

Jeff

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Thank you so much for responding.  I read some of your replies to others that had posted similar information  and did go into your website a couple of times last night but didn't get anything resolved.  So when I got your post today I followed the link that lead back to dell because the Nvram had changed.  When I clicked on F2, the screen that came up was the screen that tells you about the memory and about the system and will let you scroll down to go into these different categories.  Is that the System Setup area?  I pushed all of the caps, scroll lock, and num lock and they were lit up.  Then I pressed alt + E keys at the same time and it beeped.  Pressed esc but it still didn't do nothing.  I've noticed lately that whenever I boot my pc that I have to press F1 to continue - has something quit working like it suppose to?  I am also wandering if some of these music downloads that I have on pc like, itunes, rhapsody, windows media, music jukebox, and who knows what else has taken over my cd systems.  It says that it cannot find my cd creator software at all - i believe that it is Sonic Solutions.  Also, my cd player ate a cd a few weeks ago.  My cd drive wasn't playing or working then either.  I blew all of the pieces out and I thought that everything was ok with the disc drive.  Then about two weeks after that happened the cd drive door just opens up and will not close except when re-booting the pc it will close and then after the pc is started again it will pop back open.  I haven't been able to use my cd player except once or twice when I first got it.  Something has zapped my info or taken my drive away.  Whenever I go into hardware device under the symbol that looks like a disc drive when I click on it I get the letters:  ST380011A which is suppose to be my cd drive and then under it there is what I think should be the cd drive and it says Floppy Disc Controller and when I click on that is says: Standard floppy disk controller.  Then the next one which shows it is my floppy drive says:  Floppy Disc Drive and when I click on it I get:  Floppy disc drive.  I have always been good at keeping my computer just right but I have messed up this time or something has messed up and it is driving me insane.  I would like to be able to use my cd drive to record some files and information off of my computer that I need to get but it will not work.  There has got to be a simple explanation.  If not, do I need to do a reinstall?  I would appreciate any help that you can provide.  Thank you so much for your time.

Kind Regards,

Mark T.

• Hi Mark,

I have to bowl tonight, so it will be late before I get back.
    It is possible the drive has simply failed considering the additional information you have provided.
    I do need to ask a few more questions:
    Do you have one or two opticals drive (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVVD/RW)?

What is the name/model of the drive(s) in question?

You can use Device Manager to gather the information.
    To access Device Manager, use any of the following methods:
    • Click Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc.
    • Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
    • Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Once there, click the "+" next to DVD\CD-ROM drives and list the name/model of the drive(s)

Just so you will know, many times when a disc is shattered in the drive, you may never really get all the piece out and it could fail at any time or damage discs you attempt to read with the device.

It is possible you may indeed have more than one issue causing a number of separate problems.
    You may be seeing the F1 because the drive is turned off in the BIOS/System setup; or XP could be detecting a problem and dropping the drive in PIO mode instead of DMA mode (UDMA-2)

When is the last time you scanned your system for virus/spyware?

For now I would not recommend reinstalling XP because the drive may be defective.
    Click on the CD/RW link in my post again and scroll to Section 12, article 3 and run the Dell Diagnostic Dell-ChrisM has listed.

Happy Holidays !

Jeff

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 12-13-2007 06:57 AM

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• I sent you a full email and for some reason it erased it.  I will send you another one tomorrow. 

Mark T.