How to install SATA dvd burner on Dimension 4600

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

How to install SATA dvd burner on Dimension 4600

• Hello,

Can someone post step by step instructions on how to install dvd burner on dimension 4600?

Dell part # for the burner is: 313-4662

Is dimension 4600 even compatible with this burner? 

Please help,

Thanks!!

• Hi Emac,

The 4600 series still has two IDE channels on the motherboard as well as two SATA ports. You did not mention what your current setup is, whether your hard drive is on SATA 0 or it is on IDE Primary Drive 0.
    I would assume it may be SATA 0. If it is, then you would actually have the Primary IDE channel open and a IDE optical drive may be the better choice leaving your SATA 1 open for a future hard drive.
    However that was not your question so:
    If you have a SATA port open, shutdown, open the case and connect the drive to the available port.
    Here is your User Manaul,
    4600 System Setup
    turn the system on and enter the System Setup, verify that the SATA port is turned on, save/exit.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 04-16-2007 10:28 AM

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• thank you very much predator.  I obviously need to get more information.  I am actually trying to help a friend out, but haven't visited his pc yet, so i was trying to get some info in advance so I know exactly what I have to do.  Now what exact info do you need of the setup?  So I can find out and reply to you so you can help me accordingly.  And how can I have him find out if his current setup is either IDE or SATA?  Please give me the exact steps so I can have him check.  I appreciate all your help.

thanx
    eMac

• Hi Emac,

If he still has information on what he ordered, that would be great. To my knowledge most 4600 systems shipped with SATA hard drives.
    The system will support the SATA drive if he has the ports open but until you are able to check for yourself, hard to say my friend.
    Use the link I gave and click on the link for:
    Back to Content Page"
    From there you can print out the Specification page to give you an idea what to expect once you open the case.
    Honestly if this was mine, I would go with IDE DVD+/-RW drive if his hard drive are SATA. The Primary IDE channel will be open and these drives do not cost as much as the SATA units at the moment.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Hello predator,

I checked his pc today and his hard drive is connected with the IDE cable.  The dvd burner he recieved came with an orange cable.  Now do you think you can tell me exactly where should I connect that orange cable and what other configurations I might have to do for the burner to work properly.

Thanks,
    Emac
  • Emac:

Your friend purchased an SATA drive, so you'll need to plug it into the second SATA channel. Instructions are here.
  • Osprey:  First of all thanks for ur reply and the link to the instructions.  However, i still didn't understand something from the instructions:  the notice says: Match the colored strip on the cable with pin 1 on the drive (pin 1 is marked as "1").  I don't really understand which colored strip is it talking about?? Is that the orange cable that came with the drive?

Also step #9, 10 is confusing: can you please simplify it for me?

Thanks,
    Emac
  • That step refers to the IDE cable, so obviously you need to install using the SATA cable.
  • Yes i do need to install using the SATA cable.  From what I understand, one end of the sata cable goes into the drive itself and the other end should go into the port on the  mother board.  Do you know if this model 4600 has a sata port on the mother board? Do I have to change any settings in the BIOS?  Please let me know if the steps I described will be sufficient.

Thanks,
    Emac
  • Emac:

This is really not very difficult. If you would simply refer to your manual, all of the information is there.

Have you even opened up the case?
  • Yes I had opened the case to check if the HDD was connected as an IDE or SATA.  His HDD is connected as an IDE, and now that I have referred to the 4600 manual, I know there are 2 SATA ports open on the mother board. I am going to connnect the dvd drive to one of the SATA port.  I was just doing some research because I had not done this before and definitely don't want to mess up his pc.  I appreciate all the help and comments.  At this point, I feel bit more confident in doing this for him than before.  The only question I have now is once I fire up the pc, wht do I need to configure in the BIOS for the pc to recognize the drive? or does that happen automatically?
  • Ok, this is the first time you've provided this information. I am not sure you can use an SATA DVD drive with an IDE hard drive. I need to ask around.
  • Were you able to find out any info on it??   Well I have some problems now.  I tried installing the drive, there were 2 SATA ports open on the Motherboard and it didn't recognize the drive... I went into BIOS and configured the 2 SATA drives to Auto and it still didn't detect the drive. So now I don't know what to do.  And actually I got myself into a bigger problem now because all of a sudden nothing is coming up on the monitor.  Monitor doesn't automatically light up.  I didn't touch anything else.  So please help.  Also what is a good number to call dell support in U.S and not in India. Thanks
    Emac
  • I don't believe this is going to work. I know if you have both an SATA and IDE hard drive, the system can only boot to the SATA drive. So I'm thinking the SATA optical drive with an IDE system drive is not going to work.
  • Unfortunatly I bought DVD writer with SATA interface for dimension 4600. Do somebody know why it didn't work? I don't understand why SATA optical drive with an IDE system drive is not going to work. Thank you for help.