Forums

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

How long does it take to reformat the hard drive?

• i had to reinstal XP using the resore cd. i had an error message PBR 2 then nothing i followed the instructions i got off the forum (WONDERFUL!) everything was going great untill i got to the reformatting partition 2. its been at 0% for the last 20 min. and i dont have any flashing lights or anything i think it is frozen. can anyone help? thanks
  • Sounds like the hard drive is faulty - power on, F12, Dell diagnostics, extended test, hard drive.
  • yes i have a very faulty hard drive i did the F12 and diagnostic test to determine it was the hard drive now i am using the cd to restore my laptop. it is going on 1 hour now and i see no activity. any help is appreciated thanks 
  • Did you replace the hard drive?

• mhnnh wrote:
    yes i have a very faulty hard drive i did the F12 and diagnostic test to determine it was the hard drive now i am using the cd to restore my laptop. it is going on 1 hour now and i see no activity. any help is appreciated thanks 

You cannot fix a drive with software, you need to replace it.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm