Unable to open DVD-RW Drive Drawer automatically

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Unable to open DVD-RW Drive Drawer automatically

• Hardly used - just when I wanted to use it the drawer will not open automatically (tried the manual paperclip method) - that's not an option for me. I have a Dimension 8400 with a Philps DVD+RW DVD8631.
    When I start up the pc the green light blinks on the drive light and when I press the eject button, it makes a click click noise - I think it's trying eject but then nothing!
    Please has anyone got any suggestions?

• Hi GW,

Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 13-0, article 22. There 4 different approaches to this, one you have already tried, the paper clip...

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Thanks Predator.

1. Tried the patch - still didn't work.
    2. The unistalling of the drive makes me nervous. It came up with Warning: You are about to uninstall this device. I copped out. Are you confident it will re-enstall the drive?

GM

• Hi GW,

Yes, Windows will reinstall the drivers again. After uninstalling the drive, restart Windows and it will be done automatically.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

• Well Predator, I tried all of your 4 options - and still doesn't respond. Anymore suggestions or do you reckon the drive needs replacing.

Many thanks for your help.

• Hi GW,

Up front, this is a stab in the dark, you might give the Dell firmware update a shot; You might get lucky.

Philips 8631

If that does not help, I would consider replacing the drive. New Egg has the Retail NEC DVD+/-RW for less than $35.00

Best Wishes,
    Jeff

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"