Reformatting

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Reformatting

• I have a dell dimension e310 and am wondering how exactly I would go about reformatting the computer. I have the Reinstallation cd of Windows XP but the whole taking everything off the computer and then putting it back on makes me a little nervous, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • ka_jayhawk44

As your computer was shipped after 7.15.04, then you should have the Dell's PC Restore utility on the hard drive, that restores the system to factory condition.

Power the computer on.
    When the black screen with the Dell Logo in the top blue bar appears,  press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, then press the F11 key, then release them both at the same time.   The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window should appear.

NOTE: Only press the keys one time, if you press them more than once you will receive a keyboard error and will have to start the process over.

Click the Restore button. A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.
    Click the Confirm button. The progress window appears. When the restore is complete the message "The system recovery process was  successful" appears.

Click the Finish button and the computer should restart.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 02-01-2006 10:06 PM

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• For Future references, I just got this computer on the 2nd of May. It came with no disks to format. Do I follow the directions above? I rented a dell and that's what sold me! No disks, nothing a press of a few keys and wala your formatted. I got no instrutions with this computer which I found odd. I have xp pro. Do I reformat if the time comes by pushing a few keys(ctl and F11)?? thanks for your advice!
  • Triumph_76

As you purchased the system this year, by using the procedures I posted, you should be able to restore the system to factory condition.

But, as you have noted, there were no XP reinstallation CDs shipped, if your system is under warranty, you should be able to obtain all the CD's needed for a manual reinstallation, you may have to be politely persistent about it.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell