New Hard Drive now need the Boot Disk for Dell Dimension 4100.

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

New Hard Drive now need the Boot Disk for Dell Dimension 4100.

• Hi,

I just bought an upgraded 160 GB hard drive from Dell for a Dell Dimension 4100.

After installing it and starting up the computer I am getting a message for a Boot Disk in Drive A.

I don't have any such Boot Disk.

How can I boot up this computer and install a new operating system?

Thank you,
  • What operating system are you trying to install? If 2000 or XP, use the CD. If DOS (98/ME) you'll need the CD and the floppy that goes with it.

If you have misplaced the boot floppy, you can download an image of one from www.bootdisk.com.

Note that the 4100 doesn't natively support a drive over 137 gigs - you'll need a controller card or a BIOS overlay, or the Intel application accelerator to access the full capacity.
  • Hello,

I am going to install Windows XP Pro. (And, of course, it comes with a CD.)

I did place the CD into the drive before and after starting the computer up (after I installed the new Hard Drive.)

But, I keep getting a boot disk required in Drive A message?

Thank you,
  • Is the CD-ROM drive set to be the first boot device in BIOS setup? If not, change it.

If this XP install CD doesn't have SP1 or SP2 on it already, you will be limited to a 137G partition until after you install the service pack, when you can then create a small partition to use the rest of the drive.
  • Q: Is the CD-ROM drive set to be the first boot device in BIOS setup? If not, change it.

A: I'm not sure how to do this set up? How do I change it to accept the CD as the first boot device?

If this XP install CD doesn't have SP1 or SP2 on it already, you will be limited to a 137G partition until after you install the service pack, when you can then create a small partition to use the rest of the drive.

A: It has the SP1 on it already.
  • Go into the BIOS setup, and look at the list of boot devices. Move the CD-ROM drive to first (or at least, before the floppy or hard drive).
  • When I turn on the computer it just goes to the message that says I need a Boot Disk in Drive A. I cannot get it to do anything else. But, I have not been able to find the Boot Disk to install either.
  • You need to get into the system setup BEFORE the OS attempts to load. When you start the system, immediately press the DEL key. That will trip you into BIOS setup.

You do NOT need a floppy (actually six of them) to boot XP, unless for some reason you want to do that. If you do, you can download the images of the six XP boot floppies from microsoft.

Booting from the CD takes just a few seconds. Booting from floppies will take you at least 10 minutes.
  • I have been able to get into the system's set up. (DEL) key prior to any software loading.

And, I changed the Boot to CD but I am still getting the following message: "Invalid Boot Diskette - Insert BOOT Diskette in A:"

• Try completely disabling the floppy drive.
  • I have already tried disabling the floppy drive, but the same message appears?
  • Are you certain you have the new drive properly installed (jumpered as cable select, and on the correct position on the ribbon cable)?
  • RJAYE.

Procedures for configuring a Dimension series system to boot to the CD/DVD drive.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=TT1032262

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell