Here is when this problem occurs. Your Dell desktop or laptop has an AMD or Nvidia video card, and you are using an HDMI cable to connect to your HD monitor or HDTV. The problem is that the desktop image does not fill the entire screen, and there is empty space, i.e., a black border, around the outside of the desktop. The solution is very easy, but hard to find. The adjustment is called scaling, and to get to the scaling options:

AMD ATI video card
The Ati Catalyst scaling default is set to around 7.5 which causes a thick black borders around all four sides of the display.

* Right-click on your desktop and choose the AMD VISION Engine Control Center
* Along the left-hand side you will see My Digital Flat-Panels
* In there choose Scaling Options (Digital-Flat Panel)
* You will see a scroll bar for underscan and overscan. Check the box and slide the slider until your screen is filled
* Click Apply and done
-or-
* Right-click on your desktop and choose the AMD VISION Engine Control Center
* Along the left-hand side you will see My Digital Flat-Panels
* Click it and a sub menu pulls down
* Open the first item in the sub-menu 'Properties (Digital Flat Panel)'
* Move the slder (15%-0) to the right to 0
* Click Apply and done
-or-
* Right click on the Desktop
* Open the Catalyst Control Center
* Switch to Advanced mode
* Click the Dropdown Menu Graphics in the top Right
* Select Desktops and Displays
* Right click on Currently Active Display. There is a little picture of a tiny Monitor and tiny Arrow at the far bottom left of the menu. It is this tiny Arrow that you left click on, then click Configure. Then the following 6 buttons will be available to you:
Attributes
Avivo Color
Scaling Options
HDTV Support
LCD Overdrive
Pixel Format
* Under Attributes, check the Enable GPU scaling box and the Scale image to full panel size
* Click Apply
* Select Configure
* Click on the Scaling Options tab
* Move the scale to the right until you get a full screen image 0%
* Click OK

NVIDIA video card
* Right click the desktop
* Click NVIDIA Control Panel
* Click Custom View- Define Custom View
* Put checks on all and choose Advanced Settings
* Click OK. It will refresh
* Under Display, click Adjust desktop size and position
* Choose from the choices
Use NVIDIA scaling - stretches to fully fit screen
Use NVIDIA Scaling with fixed-aspect ratio - fills screen without distorting proportions (i.e. you'll see black bars at top/bottom or sides)
Use my display's built-in scaling - relies on your monitor, which probably stretches to full screen
Do not scale - no scaling, so images smaller than 1920x1080 will be centered on the screen, with a black border around it
* Click Apply and or OK

Now when your friends at school or work have this problem, you can impress them with your technical ability!