adding 3rd monitor

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

adding 3rd monitor

• The help section says that you can have multiple monitors, but I can't get this to  work. 

I have a dual monitor set up on my Dell 8300, P4/3.0/HT/800fsb board. I am using an nvdia ge force 5200 that came with it and it has a dual output, one dig, one analog.  I use an optional Dell offered adapter for the digital out to convert it to VGA. Works great, no configuring at all. I have 'screen spreader' enabled.

I've been trying for hours to add a (known good)3rd monitor to my system and I can't seem to get any of the 3 diff video cards that I have available recognized. They are old spares, but they all work fine for running dual monitors in a compaq presario 98SE machine.

In this Dell 8300, the matrox/compaq video card was ok in dev manager, but wasn't recognized anywhere in Display Prop/Settings. The S3 trio's 32/64's caused a yellow asterisk in Dev Manager and they also weren't in Display Properties. I tried all the t/s steps with each card , to find a solution, like updating drivers, the hardware troubleshooter steps, xp updates, and different PCI slots, #1 and #4 for all 3 cards and I'm out of ideas

I read some where in the hours of troubleshooting/reading, that if you use a mix of an AGP and a PCI card, the PCI has to be in the #1 slot, and it will always be the primary. ( I wonder if I did get these 3 working, if having an old card with probably 2 or 8 megs of memory on it would affect the overall performance of the better card in the AGP slot) Maybe call this question #3 if it applies.

I did try to find a HCL to see if the devices will be compatible in this computer, but I just get directed to the commercial MS site that has compatible devices for sale.

I took out the agp card (5200) and the PCI S3 worked fine by itself Seems like a compatibility issue between the cards, but I hope there is a way to can get them all to work together. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The short of it are these 2 questions:

1. Is there a URL to pull up an HCL by vendor for XP ?

2. Are there any issues that I haven't addressed in order to successfuly add the 3rd monitor ? Something in the Bios setup ?

thx for any ideas

trevor

• vadolphous,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum (DCF).
    Sounds like you have coverd the bases. List everything in the PCI slots.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• hi, thx for the reply.  I tried the one thing that I should have thought of earlier,  before

all the r&r'ing, and it did allow me to use a PCI slot video card. 

I changed the bios setting: primary video... AGP, to the only other choice,  which was AUTO.  This enabled the card to work. (duh!). 

But....as I was asking about in the initial post, my performance seemed to sufffer using this card and I removed it for the time being.   One thing I discovered was that even though 'help' said it would become or needed to be,  the primary video card, when I checked in Display Properties, I discoved that the #2 monitor, (the one plugged into the anolog output of the dual AGP card),had made itself the primary, and also discovered the checkbox option, 'make this my primary monitor'. 

So I ask the question again, do you think this old 2-4 MB card will affect the overall performace ?  When I get ahold of a more modern PCI card, I'll find out,  but a reply would be appreciated too.

thx again and have a nice evening

• oops, second question I would like someone to answer..............is there a HCL website where I can check a compatibility list for XP hardware ??  thx.