S2240L - Video - Desktop - Dell Community

S2240L

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

S2240L

• I have Dell S2240L monitor that came with my PC.  The PC updated to Windows 10 Home and the monitor still worked.  I moved the computer and now the monitor detects VGA on startup, but the screen is black.  I have attached other monitors and they function fine.  I am wondering why all of a sudden this monitor will not display on my Dell Inspirion.

• GKMundt,

Run the self test and diags on the monitor by following the information below.

Self-Test

Self-Test Feature Check (STFC)
    The S2x40L/M series Flat Panel Monitors provides a self-test feature that allows customers to check whether their monitor is functioning properly. If the monitor and computer are properly connected but the monitor screen remains dark, run the monitor self-test by performing the following steps:

Monitor Self-Test
    1. Turn off both the computer and monitor.
    2. Unplug the video cable from the back of the computer. To ensure proper Self-Test operation, remove the remove the Analog (blue connector)cables from the back of the computer.
    3. Turn on the monitor.

The floating dialog box should appear on-screen (against a black background) if the monitor cannot sense a video signal and is working correctly. While in self-test mode, the power LED remains white. Also, depending upon the selected input, the dialog shown below will continuously scroll through the screen.

4. This box also appears during normal system operation, if the video cable becomes disconnected or damaged.
    5. Turn off the monitor and reconnect the video cable; then turn on both the computer and the monitor.
    A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:

If the monitor screen remains blank after the customers use the previous procedure, check the video controller and computer, because the monitor is functioning properly.

Built-in Diagnostics

Your monitor has a built-in diagnostic tool that helps you determine if the screen abnormality you are experiencing is an inherent problem with your monitor, or with your computer and video card.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
    Customers can run the built-in diagnostics only when the video cable is unplugged and the monitor is in self-test mode
    Run the built-in diagnostics

1. Ensure that the screen is clean (no dust particles on the surface of the screen).

2. Unplug the video cable(s) from the back of the computer or monitor. The monitor then goes into the self-test mode.

3. Press and hold the 1st and 4th buttons on the front panel, simultaneously for 2 seconds. A gray screen appears.

4. Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.

5. Press the 4th button on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to red.

6. Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to inspect the display in green, blue, and white colored screens.

8. The test is complete when the text screen appears. To exit, press the 4th button again.
    If the customers do not detect any screen abnormalities upon using the built-in diagnostic tool, the monitor is functioning properly. Check the computer system and video card.