ATI Radeon HD 7570 on XPS 8500

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

ATI Radeon HD 7570 on XPS 8500

This question is not answered

I just purchased a new XPS 8500 with the ATI Radeon HD 7570.  I wanted to update the video drivers to the latest ones from ATI - so I downloaded it and... it doesn't work.  The ONLY driver that seems to work with this card is the stock driver from their website.  Has anyone tried to update their drivers and had success?  Any ideas?  I called Dell and they are "working on it"

I saw that someone in a previous post had a similar issue http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19456572.aspx  

I'm none to pleased that this card cannot seemingly be updated. 

Thoughts?

Kyle

All Replies
  • it's a lower end OEM card .. it's not going to get updated a lot.  "if it's not broke don't fix it" is a good phrase to keep in mind.

• I bought my XPS 8500 with the Radeon HD 7570 card four months ago.  I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and downloaded the Windows 8  Radeon 7570 driver.  After installation, I began getting error messages related to the Catalyst Control Center.  I tried to install the drivers from the AMD website but the HD 75070 apparently is no longer supported.  I finally uninstalled the Dell drivers and now have a generic AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series (Microsoft) driver listed in the Device Manager.  I don't know whether or not I'm getting all the functionality of the video card.

I don't appreciate the "If it's not broke don't fix it" comment.  I think it's reasonable to expect a four month old computer to have a fully functional video card that is not obsolete.  

• KNace

I just purchased a new XPS 8500 with the ATI Radeon HD 7570.  I wanted to update the video drivers to the latest ones from ATI - so I downloaded it and... it doesn't work.  The ONLY driver that seems to work with this card is the stock driver from their website.  Has anyone tried to update their drivers and had success?  Any ideas?  I called Dell and they are "working on it"

I saw that someone in a previous post had a similar issue http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19456572.aspx  

I'm none to pleased that this card cannot seemingly be updated. 

Thoughts?

Kyle

That's a high end card... I have  a 7000 series ATI Card myself in this BEAST ..2gig cards..will run 3 or 4 monitors ( with a high power supply).

Depending on you expertise, you could go to downloads under support and get the driver OR,  call tech support, (call the XPS line not the Dell line) and let  them go in your system and fix it for you... but he's right, it if wasn't giving you any symptoms it was outdated,  (mine had to be changed) on this Alienware R4.

Zb1

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
      Yes  

• Try the auto detect under the downloads section  on the ATI website, see what happens.

• My system: XPS 8500, Windows 8 Upgrade from Windows 7

On the AMD website, if you search for HD 7570, nothing comes up.  There is a link to download the HD 7000 series drivers but that download doesn't seem to include the HD 7570 driver.  When I downloaded the Windows 8 driver from Dell's Drivers & Downloads page, I began experiencing CCC.exe (catalyst control center) error messages when I shut down the computer on several occasions.  I also experienced hard drive errors which may have been related to the Dell driver.  Since uninstalling the  driver I have not had any more problems.  When I rebooted after uninstalling the driver, a Microsoft replacement driver was installed automatically.  That seems to be working okay but there is no Catalyst Control Center.  I'm not sure how important that is.

The last time I spoke to Dell technical support about this issue, I was advised to contact Microsoft, since they are supposed to handle any software issues related to Windows 8 upgrade (if you purchased from Microsoft).  The alternative I was given was to contact Dell software support for fee-based assistance.  I doubt software support would be able to help since there's no driver.  The right thing to do would be for Dell to replace the obsolete card with one that is supported, such as the HD 7770.  I did request to switch out the HD 7570 card for the HD 7770 and pay the difference but was refused.

• Jon853

The last time I spoke to Dell technical support about this issue, I was advised to contact Microsoft, since they are supposed to handle any software issues related to Windows 8 upgrade (if you purchased from Microsoft).  The alternative I was given was to contact Dell software support for fee-based assistance.  I doubt software support would be able to help since there's no driver.  The right thing to do would be for Dell to replace the obsolete card with one that is supported, such as the HD 7770.  I did request to switch out the HD 7570 card for the HD 7770 and pay the difference but was refused.

I'm sorry but I think you were given incorrect info.  A video card is hardware the driver is also part of the video card and is not software.
    How they equated the driver as being software is beyond me??
    You should call them back and tell them that the driver is NOT software, but I think they know that.
    It's tech supports job to help you fix this issue.
    Zb1

Yes  

• Well, that's what I thought too.  I have noticed that Dell technical support is inconsistent in their responses.  I actually get better information from a forum like this.  What I have learned from my upgrade experience is to wait and buy a computer with a new operating system rather than upgrade.  I didn't realize Dell wouldn't support a Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade but they would support the upgrade if you purchased Windows 8 from Dell.  So, whenever there's a software issue related to the upgrade, Dell will tell me to contact Microsoft.  Then Microsoft will tell me to contact Dell.  Fortunately, I have found ways to solve my own issues and everything seems to be working as it should.    

• When you say upgrade, are you saying you upgraded from W7 to W8.

That's normal for Dell only to support what they have sold to you and to me that makes perfect sense.

So maybe I didn't understand your question completely before answering?

If you brought the upgrade disc from M$ and not Dell the way I see that is any problem that involves W8 would not be Dell's responsibility...

You kinda of in a Catch 22, glad to read you got it solved.... These forums are where a lot of work gets done, you'd be surprised.

Yes