2.0 pcie video card with 1.0a slot ???

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

2.0 pcie video card with 1.0a slot ???

This question is not answered

My old XP box died and I needed something quick ( and cheap ) to get me up and running.  I am in the middle of moving and don't want to spend money on a system right now.  This box is on the job site, using it to do house design ( and some videos at night).

I bought a used Inspiron 530.  Dual core 2.4 gig.  It has the G33M02 mother board.

I swapped out my old 450W power supply and added my old ram so I now hove 4 gig

I am running Windows 7 ... so far, so good.

I now need to upgrade my video card.  I need at least directX 10.  I want to run dual monitors.

I was just about to put a nvidea 430 into it ... $40.  Then I read their site,  it is a 2.0 pcie card and is compatible with 1.1 ( says to on there site).  The 530 is 1.0a !  The cards tech support says it may or may not work!  They (card manfacture) suggested a 210 ( less performance and only DirectX10, 430 is DirectX11 ... and almost the same price) ... but even the 210 says only 1.1 compatible on their site!

Dose anyone have any experience with this problem ... if it is a problem? I am using dual monitors, no gaming, Autocad, video editing and such.

Thanks so much ... Mike

All Replies
  • It is my understanding that the i530 is 1.1 not 1.0a.  My 530 was 1.1.  There really should not be a problem with the Nvidia 2.0 cards on either 1.1 or 1.0a.  Some have had issues with the AMD 2.1 cards on 1.0a boards.  The G33 chipset should be 1.1.  You could try downloading this software HERE and it should tell you want version you have under the mainboard information.