HDMI to TV - sound not working

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

HDMI to TV - sound not working

• Hi

I have an Inspiron 620.  I have attached it to my Samsung TV via an HDMI cable but am having what I now realise is a classic problem - I can't get sound through the TV,  I've tried the usual approach of right clicking the speaker icon to set the playback device but don't have an HDMI option as a playback device (it only shows Conexant HD audio device as the default and no other options.  I've checked that my drivers are up-to-date for this device and they are.

Can anyone confirm whether the Inspiron 620 HDMI out can carry sound and if so, how do I get it?

• If you are using the HDMI connection on the motherboard I/O panel, that is only Video and was designed to be used with a PC Monitor that accecpts HDMI Video ONLY.

You will need a separate PCIeX16 Video card that has HDMI video and audio to do what you want with a TV.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks - yes, that's what I'm using

• I do not believe Fireberd is correct.

I just purchased an Inspiron 620, it was delivered on Monday of this week.  I immediately hooked it up to my living room HDTV HDMI input using the HDMI out port on the 620 (mine does not have a separate graphics card, it has the built-in integrated Intel HD graphics on the motherboard).  Audio worked fine and immediately without having to set anything special up.

I'm not sure at this moment, but you may have to go into Control Panel and adjust what audio device you are using if you have added (or removed) a graphics card.  On my old Dimension 8400, after I added a graphics card, I think I had to tell the PC to use the new audio device that was built into the graphics card (rather than the standard on-board audio, since I wanted to send the audio through the HDMI port built into the new graphics card).

Now, my wife did notice an issue with the audio last night.  She was playing Fate: The Cursed King and the audio volume kept going up and down by itself.  I'll have to see if that issue is strictly tied to that game or other audio as well.

• If it has both audio and video, that is not what many others have.  These newer models must be incorporating both in the integrated audio HDMI.  The Dell manual does not state either way - just says it's an HDMI output.

On older models with integrated video, that is only Video.

The 620 was not designed to be a "gaming PC" and if something was overheating from extended game play that may have caused the volume change.   

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Not buying this answer. I have Fedora Schordinger's Cat and Windows dual boot environment.

Fedora detects an HDMI output in the audio panel. I can manually switch between HDMI output, stereo output, and stereo mic + audio out.

This must be a Windows driver problem. Anyone have a fix?

• The playback device is set in the Sound applet, and an incorrect device being set as such is a typical reason for no sound.

• fireberd
    If you are using the HDMI connection on the motherboard I/O panel, that is only Video and was designed to be used with a PC Monitor that accecpts HDMI Video ONLY.

I just tested my OptiPlex 390 Desktop (same motherboard as the Inspiron 620s) and the onboard Intel audio works fine over HDMI.

CPU is a 2120T with Intel 2000 integrated graphics.