Connecting to HDTV using HDMI - Video - Desktop - Dell Community

Connecting to HDTV using HDMI

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Connecting to HDTV using HDMI

This question is not answered

I am trying to connect my Dell XPS 8100 desktop to my Insignia NS-L42Q-10A via the HDMI port. I know the HDMI port on my TV works as I've had my Xbox 360 attached to it for a long time. Whether I start the TV up first or the computer up first it doesn't matter, all I get is a blank screen that says No Input. I can attach the TV via VGA cable and that works fine. I've been all over Google and it looks like a few people have had this problem, but so many different things worked for different people with different drivers that I don't even know where to start.

My video card is a Radeon 5770 with Catalyst Control Center.

All Replies
  • Are you using the HDMI port on the Video card? If not, that is the problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with ASRock Z77 Professional, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• When a video card is installed in the XPS 8100 the onboard HDMI port is disabled. Dell is aware of this but there is no workaround. As Fireberd said you must use a port on your video card.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Wow, I have no idea how to do that. How do I access the HDMI port on the video card?

•  If it were me I would connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the video card. I don't have that card but it looks as though it has an HDMI connection. If it dosen't you will have to get an adapter or use DVI w/sep. sound. The video will be the same HDMI/DVI.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.