Replacement video card for old computer

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Replacement video card for old computer

• My computer caught a virus and somehow corrupted my video card. No amount of deleting/re-installing of the drivers has helped. I have slaved in a replacement from an ‘even older’ computer, but it is lacking in every way. My computer is a Dell Dimension  XPS b800r running Win98se, 512MB RDRAM.

Upon boot-up, my video card indicates it’s a Nvidia GeForce 256 APG. There is a small sticker on the card that has these numbers on it ( DS/n CN 09830U 44571 0SO 0379  C/O CN ). It also has 16 Samsung 016 chips on it and a heat sink fan.

Can anyone tell me what the specifications are for this card? I want to buy a replacement, but don’t want to waste money on a card that will out perform my computers capabilities.

• A virus does not destroy a video card where you need to purchase another one.   Why not try and tell us what is happening first. 

Might be a bad video card.

Might be a virus on the system.  Do you have a anti virus software on the system and have it updated ?

Monitor issue perhaps

So explain what you see and tell us.

This link below should be your owners manual and your system takes a AGP slot card.  You have a 200 watt power supply and if someday you do need a video card upgrade, I would not get anything better than a FX 5500 AGP version

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dmag/

Cards to consider someday, but do not do anything until someone properly diagnoses the problem first

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814260041  FX 5500 card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133010  5200 card

Many have reformatted and reinstall the entire operating system to get back to day one again, which if done correctly will wipe out everything, and that includes any virus as well.  Lots of work, you must know what you are doing, and it really seems like you need some on sight hand holding.  The link below shows you how to reinstall windows so you can get an idea what is involved
    Message Edited by SR45 on 02-25-2008 08:01 AM

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• EDIT: I just saw from the other poster that you only have a 200W power supply, so nevermind.

Message Edited by AndonSage on 02-25-2008 07:01 AM
  • When I got the virus, it knocked out my sound, mouse, and video. I quickly got my mouse back by re-installing the driver. I never could get my sound back (I deleted every audio driver I could find, I also searched the computer and deleted every ‘Sound Blaster’ or ‘Creative’ file I could find----re-installed an updated driver, but still no sound – even though the device manager says it’s working.

My video starts acting up right at ‘boot-up’. Sometimes, the video card boots-up, sometimes it seems to revert to the default monitor (VGA?) card. When the DOS screen comes up identifying the video card, it is suppose to say ‘Nvidia GeForce 256 AGP’, but it started acting screwy by misspelling the words (changing the ‘e’ to ‘a’) and using special characters in place of other letters. One of these ‘special characters’ looked like a flying ‘T’ that was flashing or oscillating. When the blue Dell screen comes up, there are very thin vertical lines going through it. They are about one pixel wide and sporadically spread across the screen. Also, moving the mouse curser over them seems to make them multiply. The Windows98 screen and the desktop also have these vertical lines on them, and they seem to multiply the longer the computer is used. About half the time, the computer will seem to switch to the default driver upon boot-up because the resolution is lower than 640x480 causing a psychedelic appearance. The computer will then prompt me that it cannot support this ‘low’ resolution and will tell me to choose a higher resolution (640x480 being the highest listed). It will then prompt me to restart my computer – which may, or may not, re-boot with functioning video, and always with the vertical lines. I will only get about 15 minuets on the computer before it locks-up.  I’m can’t remember exactly, but I think the vertical lines are also present in “safe mode”, only not as bad. One thing I forgot to mention, the heat sink fan was pretty dirty, so it might have overheated and the virus was just a coincidence. But the Video, mouse and sound all quit at the same time with no warning.

My monitor is not the problem, I am using the computer with an old Diamond Viper card and it works OK – but slow and jumpy.  

THANKS,

TOM

• About an 8 year old system using windows 98se, that I am not to familiar with.  With all that is happening, and if its not a hardware issue, I would bit the bullet and reinstall windows from scratch.  Others may differ, and hope they will come by to weigh in on a 8 year old system with W/98se. 

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• Yeah, if it was a virus/malware doing that, you'd want to COMPLETELY format the drive and start over anyway, as you may still be infected. 

Plus that's easier a lot of times anyway.  I helped a friend who had their hard drive knocked down to an old access mode by malware, among other fun problems.
  • i use comodo firewall it scans for malware :)