ATI X1600 Pro in a Dell Dimension 4600?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

ATI X1600 Pro in a Dell Dimension 4600?

  • can I run an x1600pro in a Dimension 4600 despite having the 250 watt power supply?

    I have heard here and other places that they really overstate what is needed and if I dont have to I would rather not since I plan to upgrade the whole system in one year (next Xmas for sure).
     
    Probably with a Dell!   
     
    Anyway, just wondering as I am looking at an inexpensive x1600 pro . My Dimension is as follows
     
    2.6 mhz with an 800mhz sidebus (says it can run from 2.6 to 3.6)
    1 gig RAM (that is my next upgrade , going to 2 gig )
    40 gig harddrive (adding another but not yet, could just replace if it would help with power supply issue rather than adding another)
     
    Thanks!!
  • I have the exact same problem, except I want to get a 7800gs.  I have some people telling me it will run fine, while I have others who are telling me it will run, but will lag, thus greatly effecting my gameplay in games like COD2.  Opinions from those that might have these cards.  My friend can run 330fps constant on 2nd highest resolution and extra settings.  I would expect close to that considering our systems will be similar.


  • Rastaah wrote:
    can I run an x1600pro in a Dimension 4600 despite having the 250 watt power supply?

    I have heard here and other places that they really overstate what is needed and if I dont have to I would rather not since I plan to upgrade the whole system in one year (next Xmas for sure).
     
    Probably with a Dell!   
     
    Anyway, just wondering as I am looking at an inexpensive x1600 pro . My Dimension is as follows
     
    2.6 mhz with an 800mhz sidebus (says it can run from 2.6 to 3.6)
    1 gig RAM (that is my next upgrade , going to 2 gig )
    40 gig harddrive (adding another but not yet, could just replace if it would help with power supply issue rather than adding another)
     
    Thanks!!


    I covered this for you in another post.  But it bears repeating. Yes you can run the x1600pro.
     
    However some forum members (not all) are having difficulty getting the x1600pro to light up in older dimensions.  Unless you're an experienced installer, I would opt for the 7600gs instead.
     
    Its more powerful than the x1600pro and can use your existing 250 watt power supply.
     
    Good LucK
    Dale
     
    Dimension 4550
    Intel P4 2.53GHz
    A08 Bios
    768Mb DDR 333MHz RAM
    533Mhz fsb
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256Mb 16 pipes enabled
    SoundBlaster Live
    D-Link 524 Wireless Router
    Lite-on DVD-rom
    LG-DT-ST CDRW-rom 848-1b
    WD 600BB 60Gb Ultra ATA 100 7200rpm HD
    WD 1200JB SE 120Gb ATA 100 7200rpm HD
    BenQ FP71G+ LCD monitor
    Win XP SP2 (all updates)  
  • Ok well thank you so much for all the answers it has helped a TON!! And saved me calling Dell.
     
    Thanks a bunch!!!!
     
    I will take all into consideration as I purchase upgrades and Im sure ill be back.
  • I have hear that the X1600 Pro and X1000 series in general has problems working in a Dell. You could try your luck if you wish. I think 7600GS would be a safe bet if you are looking for a inexpensive graphics card. If you want to do gaming I would recommend the 7600GT card, it will work fine in your 250W power supply.
  • i have a 4550 and i got the x1650 and it will not work, no matter what... i found out on some forum that ppl tried all sort of things and nothing worked
     
    im considering the x800GTO or the 7600GS, will any of these work for sure?
     
    all help is appreciated.....


  • foobar530 wrote:
    i have a 4550 and i got the x1650 and it will not work, no matter what... i found out on some forum that ppl tried all sort of things and nothing worked
     
    im considering the x800GTO or the 7600GS, will any of these work for sure?
     
    all help is appreciated.....


    Check my dimension 4550 sig.  And yes you could use the 7600gs too with your stock power supply.
     
    Good Luck
    Dale
     
    Dimension 4550
    Intel P4 2.53GHz
    A08 Bios
    768Mb DDR 333MHz RAM
    533Mhz fsb
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256Mb 16 pipes enabled
    SoundBlaster Live
    D-Link 524 Wireless Router
    Lite-on DVD-rom
    LG-DT-ST CDRW-rom 848-1b
    WD 600BB 60Gb Ultra ATA 100 7200rpm HD
    WD 1200JB SE 120Gb ATA 100 7200rpm HD
    BenQ FP71G+ LCD monitor
    Win XP SP2 (all updates)
  • dale thank you for the info about the x800GTO
    as for the 7600GS, do you know of ppl actually using it on the 4550 with success?

    the x800 seems to have better throughput, but the 7600GS im looking at has twice the memory, any suggestions which way to go?

    thnx!
  • X800GTO is a great card but the 7600GS has newer features such as Shader Model 3.0 and advanced HDR effects that the X800GTO lacks. If you are interested in these features then you may want to go with the 7600GS.
  • thanks for the info!
    i will go that way (the 7600GS way) if i can get a definite answer from someone whether that card will actually work on my 4550
    i havent managed to find someone that has tried the combination

  • Ok well thank you so much for all the answers it has helped a TON!! And saved me calling Dell.
    Thanks a bunch!!!!
    I will take all into consideration as I purchase upgrades and Im sure ill be back.

     

    rastaah, what did you end up doing? any success?



  • foobar530 wrote:
    thanks for the info!
    i will go that way (the 7600GS way) if i can get a definite answer from someone whether that card will actually work on my 4550
    i havent managed to find someone that has tried the combination


    The power supply unit in Dell Dimension 4400, 4500, 4550, 4600 is the same 250 watt unit.
     
    You can easily run a 7600gs/gt card in your machine.
     
    Good Luck
    Dale
  • sending back x1600 ati monday (i wanted this card to work so bad)   my dell 4550 has all the upgrades ps600w    ...looking   at newegg  7600gs or the 7600 gt       i'am  a fan of ati but these manufacturer should be able to tell you what works & what don't               
    what's better 7600gs or 7600gt..................


  • sjhill wrote:
    sending back x1600 ati monday (i wanted this card to work so bad)   my dell 4550 has all the upgrades ps600w    ...looking   at newegg  7600gs or the 7600 gt       i'am  a fan of ati but these manufacturer should be able to tell you what works & what don't               
    what's better 7600gs or 7600gt..................


    the GT is better AFAIK but i havent gotten a clear answer is its compatible with the 4550
    everyone says (on this and other boards) that the default power supply is enough, but what about the bus signaling and voltage? i *think* that was the problem with my x1650, it was not able to do 1.5V on the 4x AGP bus (it could only do 0.8V)


  • Dale Nihiser wrote:


    foobar530 wrote:
    thanks for the info!
    i will go that way (the 7600GS way) if i can get a definite answer from someone whether that card will actually work on my 4550
    i havent managed to find someone that has tried the combination


    The power supply unit in Dell Dimension 4400, 4500, 4550, 4600 is the same 250 watt unit.
     
    You can easily run a 7600gs/gt card in your machine.
     
    Good Luck
    Dale


    yes i saw that on other boards also, but what about bus voltage and signaling? the 4550AGP bus  is 4x with 1.5V, will the 7600GS do that? i think the ati x1650 only did 0.8V, and thats why it didnt work on the 4550
    have you tried the 7600GS yourself (or someone you know)?
     
    thnx!