Nvidia's Software Temperature Gauge

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Nvidia's Software Temperature Gauge

• I just purchased & Installed a BFG Tech 6600GT 128mb AGP card. 

It seems to be working fine, but I'd like to monitor the temperature of the card.   I know I'm not getting an accurate reading on the Nvidia settings screen.....it keeps on telling me that the temperature of the card is 35 degrees C.....BUT IT NEVER CHANGES.  It's almost like I don't have that function turned on??  I can be playing a computer game for 2 hours...or I could just turn the PC on first thing in the morning........still 35 degrees C.  I did check the box on the Nvidia screen to warn me if the temp goes over a certain setting, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.....

How do I activate the temperature gauge?

Thanks for your input.

SYSTEM INFO:
    Machine name: DELL4550
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
     Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dimension 4550               
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 257MB used, 1439MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6600 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F1&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Dell D1226H
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher
  • Do you know if there's a temp sensor on that card? Perhaps sensor is defective?

Go to nvidia.com and see if there's a newer version of the driver for that card available, in case it's just a software bug.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Try running a graphics-intensive demo (like 3DMark05) and leave the temp screen up in the background. When the benchmark finishes, I'd bet that the card runs a little hotter. If it doesn't, than either you have the best air-cooled Dell, or the temp sensor on the card is bad.

Grant

• lol my radeon 9250 ran the 3dmark03 and i thought my video card was gonna melt and the comp explode....roflm4o
    i can barely imagine what would happen on 3dmark05....umm it would load then the computer would shut off to save the internal components from melt down......
    just a assumption...
  • I don't know if it could possibly make that much difference, but I do have 2 empty PCI slots next to the card (instead of the recommended 1 slot).  That should help the cooling somewhat, shouldn't it? 
  • It will make a difference, but not enough to keep it steady ALL OF THE TIME!

Grant

• I downloaded the test program you recommended...3DMark05.  I'll try it out later tonight & see what happens.  Are there bench marks that I can apply to my specific card to see how it is doing in my PC?  I doubt it will change anything on that temp gauge....it really seems like that function just isn't "activated".

I've see some message boards point people in the direction of the PC's BIOS settings....has anyone ever heard of this avenue?  I don't really think I'm comfortable with screwing around with those settings...I hear that it can be risky.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• you could go here http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html  and either phone or email them.
  • " I doubt it will change anything on that temp gauge....it really seems like that function just isn't "activated"."

There was a bug in some Nvidia drivers that gave an incorrect temperature. I don't remember the date or have a link handy.
    Update your video card drivers. What version are you using?

http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
  • I should be good to go on the driver issue...As soon as I installed the card I went to the Nvidia website for a driver update.....

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)

• does my video card have a temp guage??? specs are at bottom...and if so how can i use it to read the temps???
  • Found some info on how to enable the temp gauge on the 6600 series!!!!

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=2379

Dell XPS L701X

• No, your card does not.  ATI only puts them on the higher end cards.  the 9800 Pro didn't even come with one.  You had to buy the XT to get it.

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel 980X @ 4.5 GHz,3xeVGA 480 GTX, 6 GB Corsair 2000 MHz CR 7, Crucial 128GB Real SSD,2x1GB W/D Black in RAID 0,Asus Xonar, Watercooled with EK HF Gold, EK full M/B block,DangerDen 480 GTX blocks,4xXSPC RX360 rads,2x355 pumps,1xDangerDen D5,2xXSPC Res

• yeah that is lame....