Dell 580 and ATI 5770 problems

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 580 and ATI 5770 problems

This question is answered

I have a Inspiron 580 I want to upgrade the video on. I purchased a Visiontek 650w psu in anticipation of a new graphics card and installed it first. The machine works fine with the new psu. So I added a MSI Radeon HD 5770 and cannot get it to work.

I placed the card in the PCIe slot and attached the 6 pin PCIe power connector to the 5770. When I try powering it on, nothing really happens. I see the fans twitch throughout the machine as if they will start, but nothing starts and it does not boot. If I detach the 6 pin connector from the 5770, the system will boot with the card in the slot. Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • I think it is the cheapo VisionTek PSU. I placed both in another machine with a newer Gigabyte mobo and got the exact same result. So my guess is the 650w PSU is just not good enough to power the card. Thanks.

All Replies
  • It should work even though you bought a cheap power supply.  Is the card recognized by the system when it boots with the power connector detached?  I would reseat the card and check all your connections.  Try using the other connector on the card for your monitor hook up.  Is the card you bought new?  Most of these have changed to the HD 6770 so it is hard to find the HD 5770 now.  

• It is a used card I can return if I need to. I have tried both DVI connectors. I know the psu is cheap and was worried that might be the issue. I will have to check if the card is detected when booted with power connector detached. Should it be?

• I think it is the cheapo VisionTek PSU. I placed both in another machine with a newer Gigabyte mobo and got the exact same result. So my guess is the 650w PSU is just not good enough to power the card. Thanks.