Dimension 4700: Video Card Upgrade Suggestions??

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 4700: Video Card Upgrade Suggestions??

This question is not answered

Hi, all...

I have a Dimension 4700 desktop that was purchased 2/28/2005. The only upgrade I have made thus far is to increase RAM to 4Gb.

I currently have 128MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X300 SE and wanted to upgrade the video card.

All Replies
  • If video playback is your intention, I suggest the 6570. If it's gaming, the 6670.

The 6570 is around $60 and the 6670 around $90. Both will best the high-end cards available in 2005, and both feature onboard HD audio.

• it says 6670 requires a power watt 400 or greater?  how do i check to find out what mine is?

• You don't need 400 watts to run a 6670 ... video card manufacturers are famous for overstating power requirements.

I had a 6570 working in a mini-ITX with a 220-watt power supply.

• would a nvidia 9800 gt video card  work just as well?

• It's outdated, a power hog, and Guru 3D's performance tests suggests the 6670 DDR5 has an edge in real world gaming performance. The 6670 is more modern and has state of the art UVD 3 video decoding support plus a high definition onboard audio device. You'd also have to update your power supply with one having a PCI Express power connector, with at least 400 watts output.

www.guru3d.com/.../4

• I also have a 4700 (& a 4600) that I want to upgrade. However, mine just has the factory Intel 82865G graphics controller. After reading your previous suggestion I was considering the Radeon 6670. Is this an option for me too? My power supply is also factory. What about the GeForce GTS450? Don't they both have the same power requirements?

• The 4700 has a 305 watt power supply and the 4600 only has a 250 watt power supply.  The HD 6670 will work on the 4700, but not the 4600.  The GTS 450 will not work on either due to additional power requirements.

• The 6670 won't work with a stock 4600 because it does not have a PCI Express slot.

Adding a 6670 also requires replacing the mainboard,CPU fan/heatsink, power supply and memory at minimum.

• Okay, so the 4700 is good to go then. No additional changes necessary. I can just add the 6670?

• Yep.

I'd suggest the Sapphire 6670 1gb DDR5.

• Okay, just for some clarification before I look into purchasing these.

1.)  The Zotac spec sheet says its recommended wattage is 300. You're saying this will operate fully with the 250 watt psu?

2.)  The Sapphire website says a "400 Watt Power Supply is required". Same thing. Will I have any problems with the 305 watt psu in the 4700?

3.)  The Sapphire site also says, "For best cooling performance, a chassis installed with at least one 120mm or 90mm fan is required." You didn't mention this when you suggested it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help!

Chris

• Manufacturers are famous for overstating power supply requirements. There's no need for 400 watts for a 6670 -- it's power consumption is under 50 watts.

The 4700 has a 92mm cooling fan and the 6670 is not an aggressive heat generator. It's the P4 CPU that is the chief heat generator here.

• Chris-KC
    1.)  The Zotac spec sheet says its recommended wattage is 300. You're saying this will operate fully with the 250 watt psu?

What Zotac card are you referring to?  I thought you were just updating the 4700 with the 305W unit.  

Chris-KC
    2.)  The Sapphire website says a "400 Watt Power Supply is required". Same thing. Will I have any problems with the 305 watt psu in the 4700?

As stated above, the HD 6670 does not require 400 watts.  It only needs 10 watts at idle and around 50 watts if gaming.  

Chris-KC
    3.)  The Sapphire site also says, "For best cooling performance, a chassis installed with at least one 120mm or 90mm fan is required." You didn't mention this when you suggested it. What are your thoughts?

That's for best cooling which you will never find with a Dell case.  You have one chassis fan in the back of your case which is probably a 92mm drawing air out.  The HD 6670 runs very cool anyway so you're fine.   

• Sorry for the confusion, Kelbear. Rdunnill had answered related questions on two different threads and I responded in one.

Thanks for the input. Why then do manufactures push for the high psus if they're not necessary?

• Awesome. Hey, I appreciate all of your help. So the Zotac will be okay with the 250 too?

One last question. I have a D945GNT board, Pentium 4 3.4GHz. 300w peak psu. Best bang for the buck for similar games as above? Still the 6670? What if the guys wanted to play something a little better...?