Setting Up The Extended Desktop With VGA Splitter Cable

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Setting Up The Extended Desktop With VGA Splitter Cable

This question has suggested answer(s)

OK, I have a Dell Optiplex 755 and on the back there is only one VGA video card port, but I am trying to connect two monitors and set one monitor up as the primary while using the second monitor as a extended view for the desktop of my primary monitor. What I have done is purchased a vga splitter cable with hopes of being able to set the monitors up the way I described above. First, I connected the vga male splitter cable into the vga video card and then connected one female cable end to a vga cable that is connected to a monitor and then connected the other vga female cable end into the vga cable for the other monitor. I noticed right away that both the monitors were on, but the display was showing the same desktop for each monitor. I don't want a duplicate of my desktop showing on another monitor I want to make one monitor an extension of the other monitor so I can have more room for my desktop. I tried changing settings in the display settings, but no matter what I do it just shows one monitor cloning what the other monitor has. When I click on identify it shows both monitors as being number 1. I have a feeling I am either going to have to add another vga video card or a dvi-d card? Can anyone explain to me why the vga splitter cable won't work?

All Replies
  • A VGA splitter is not designed to do an extended desktop. It is designed to mirror the primary display. You will need to add a video card that has two monitor ports. Send me your service tag via a private message so I can direct you to a video card.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Hi chris

I'm tring to to same thing, one computer to 2 monitors with extended view, I looked on the videos cards with dual heads they are quite expensive.

so I thinking to go other way that is I have a video card with 2 firewire heads, so my question can I get 2 firewire to VGA cables and put each in one head of the video card and then each will go to a different monitor and on the end i want to have extended view not dublicate view, would that work.

the other way I was thinking of is since I have one VGA out from the computer, can I connect one monitor with VGA cable and the other with firewire and still have extended view, or the computer will only send one signal.

Thanks  

• WRT driving the VGA displays from 1394 outputs, remember that it's not just a pin swap: since you're converting digital to analog, you might find that two appropriate converters cost as much as or more than a new card. You might be better off getting a low-end card like those mentioned below, plus a USD2 DVI-I-to-VGA adapter.

WRT "expensive", *if* you have a digital input on at least one of the displays (DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI, DP), the GT 520 will run two displays and can be found for around USD50. And the HD 6450 will run *three* displays (technically four with DP 1.2 multi-stream), and is available for USD40. Neither has the horsepower for gaming, of course.

But, if all you have is analog inputs (VGA, DVI-A, RGB, composite,...), make sure that the card has DVI-I, not DVI-D. For example, the OEM HD 6450 that came in my XPS 8300 has VGA, HDMI, and dual-link DVI-D, so it wouldn't drive two VGA displays without a DAC for either the HDMI or DVI-D outputs. Since an HDMI-to-VGA converter costs more than the card...no. Apparently there are 6450 cards out there with DVI-I (HP claims to make one). If you can't find a low-end 6xxx card with DVI-I, you'll have to either spend more for a 6xxx card with DVI-I, or go with a 5xxx card with DVI-I, like the 5450.

I'm sure there are similar options in the GTwhatever line; I'm just not as familiar with them.

• Chris you said that VGA splitter cables duplicates the main screen. I have a problem with it though, it doesn't render the whole screen on my 2nd screen it just puts the bottom half what can I do to make it do the full resolution?

• There is no extended desktop from a Y cable.

The cable and perhaps monitors do not appear to be Dell products.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Hello,

I received my dell product in one 1-2 weeks and the ordering process was easy. 

I am having that same issue. I just finish chatting from a rep and they said that I should get a VGA splitter to extend my monitor but after reading more forums, it seems that the VGA splitter only duplicates the primary screen. 
    I bought this station to work efficiently, and part of efficiently is to have a dual monitor so that I can see more data. 
    Here were my first issues when receiving this model:

1. There's only room for one sata harddrive size 2.5"
    2. There's only one VGA port. 

What I would suggest for customers looking into this model, that you know what you're buying. I thought this it would be standard to have these in place but I guess not everyone is like me. Now I have to spend more time researching on how to do this (not counting the time to switch over), maybe expensing more for a video card that has two ports and finding someone to install the hardware for me. I would say this is more of a hassle than an upgrade.