NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS problem.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS problem.

This question is answered

I bought my XPS 710 awhile ago and it's been working great (for the most part) up until yesterday. I turned on the computer and it booted normally. After a few minutes the screen started jumbling parts of the screen everywhere. When I closed it down it looked sort of like this and this. (neither are actually from my computer but both are similar) Naturally, I thought it was a problem with either my monitor or video card(NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS). I switched monitors, the problem still occurred. I borrowed a graphics card from my friend, plugged that in and the screen was fine. After that, I put my graphics card back in and ran a diagnostic on it. And these were the results.

Symptom Tree-Server 

Video Corruption

(Failed) VESA SVGA Video- Video Memory Test 

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Video HardwareTest

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Text Mode Character Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Text Mode Color Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Text Mode Pages Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Graphics Mode Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Color Palettes Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Solid Colors Test

For the Video Memory Test, this was the result. (There are plenty more error codes similar to these two that I presented, the only difference in all of them is what I bolded. If all the error codes are needed I will post them.)

Version 9.1.4.5

Error Code 5300:0119

Msg:Detected a failure while writing and reading video memory. Video mode: Dh (320x200x16). Address A1240h, expected to read 0h, but read 12121212h instead. 

Error Code 5300:0119

Msg:Detected a failure while writing and reading video memory. Video Mode: Eh (640x200x16). Address A0458h, expected to read 0h, but read 12h instead

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • The video card is defective and should be replaced. Any of these PCIe x16 Dell video cards will work -
    XM450 Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 
    DY285 Nvidia GeForce 7950 Quad SLI
    FP071 Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX
    HH748 Nvidia Geforce 7900GS

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• I have the same card on a XPS 410 system with a similar problem. The monitor would blink and basically make the system unusable. I got a refurbished 7900 off Ebay for about $30 and that seems to have fixed the problem. This is by backup computer so I did not want to spend a lot of money on a new card.