NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS problem.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS problem.

This question is answered

I bought my XPS 710 awhile ago and it's been working great (for the most part) up until yesterday. I turned on the computer and it booted normally. After a few minutes the screen started jumbling parts of the screen everywhere. When I closed it down it looked sort of like this and this. (neither are actually from my computer but both are similar) Naturally, I thought it was a problem with either my monitor or video card(NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS). I switched monitors, the problem still occurred. I borrowed a graphics card from my friend, plugged that in and the screen was fine. After that, I put my graphics card back in and ran a diagnostic on it. And these were the results.

Symptom Tree-Server 

Video Corruption

(Failed) VESA SVGA Video- Video Memory Test 

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Video HardwareTest

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Text Mode Character Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Text Mode Color Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Text Mode Pages Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video- Graphics Mode Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Color Palettes Test

(Passed) VESA SVGA Video-Solid Colors Test

For the Video Memory Test, this was the result. (There are plenty more error codes similar to these two that I presented, the only difference in all of them is what I bolded. If all the error codes are needed I will post them.)

Version 9.1.4.5

Error Code 5300:0119

Msg:Detected a failure while writing and reading video memory. Video mode: Dh (320x200x16). Address A1240h, expected to read 0h, but read 12121212h instead. 

Error Code 5300:0119

Msg:Detected a failure while writing and reading video memory. Video Mode: Eh (640x200x16). Address A0458h, expected to read 0h, but read 12h instead

Verified Answer
  • The video card is defective and should be replaced. Any of these PCIe x16 Dell video cards will work -
    XM450 Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 
    DY285 Nvidia GeForce 7950 Quad SLI
    FP071 Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX
    HH748 Nvidia Geforce 7900GS

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

All Replies
  • The video card is defective and should be replaced. Any of these PCIe x16 Dell video cards will work -
    XM450 Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 
    DY285 Nvidia GeForce 7950 Quad SLI
    FP071 Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX
    HH748 Nvidia Geforce 7900GS

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• I have the same card on a XPS 410 system with a similar problem. The monitor would blink and basically make the system unusable. I got a refurbished 7900 off Ebay for about $30 and that seems to have fixed the problem. This is by backup computer so I did not want to spend a lot of money on a new card.