Problems with Sapphire Radeon 5570 on Dell Inspiron 531s

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problems with Sapphire Radeon 5570 on Dell Inspiron 531s

This question is not answered

Hello, I've ran into some computer problems and after some searching and testing I've narrowed it down to the GPU. I purchased a Sapphire Radeon 5570 from outletpc (similar to the one here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102875) and have installed it into my Dell Inspiron 531s. I got it because of its low power consumption, and good performance for being a low-profile card.

Upon installing, I noticed a 30-40 second delay between the time I hit the power button and the time POST/Windows loads. I'll hit power, and the computer just sits there in a on state, lights on, with some fans going, only nothing happens for 30-40 seconds. Afterwards, the POST screen appears, and windows loads normally. I removed the 5570, and this problem disappeared.  So, it has to be the card.

I was on dell bios 1.1.13 from the drivers/download page, and updated it to its latest and that is at 1.0.13. I tried downloading and installing an older bios (1.0.11) but still get the same results. I did a factory restore, and 7 hours later after installing a few windows updates the problem persists. ATI drivers are the latest, catalyst 10.11.

Is there anything I can do, a BIOS setting or version I need? Or maybe removing the motherboard battery to reset the bios or something? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

I'd also like to mention, that outside of these unusually long delays before POST and BSOD's when trying to wake up from sleep mode, the card appears to be working fine. Gaming performance has improved, and it is listed under windows and device manager.

All Replies
  • I believe it's a BIOS issue that older computers have dealing with the 5XXX series.

My Athlon64's have that problem, too. And they won't resume from sleep mode.

• Yeah that would make sense, since it's only the card that is giving me the problem. My friend has a Dell Dimension c521, and was able to install it on his computer with no problems which is the only reason I thought it could be another reason.

Do you just ignore it, and it hasn't gotten progressively worse? It really isn't affecting my performance, it's just an annoyance.

• I replaced the 5450 with a 4650. The latter doesn't have HDMI 1.3 but at least it resumes from sleep mode.

• Any other ideas or responses from anyone? Is the 5xxx series from radeon just not compatible with the Inspiron 531s?

• Well since no one was able to help and in case someone should find this thread on google or something it appears the Radeon 5xxx series have compatibility issues with Dells with BIOS 1.0 versions. So, if you have a BIOS version of 1.0.xx and have this happening, this is why.

Must be something to do with the 5570 being PCI Express 2.1, and not PCI Express 2.0 and something on the Dell BIOS just doesn't like that.

The card seemed to perform well, it was just those 40 second start up times and being unable to resume from sleep mode. I sent it back and am going to look at another low-profile series or just go with the radeon 4650 and be on the safe side.

• I put together another Athlon64 (same model of three-year-old Foxconn 6150 mainboard as in the PC) and tried a 5450 video card with Windows 7 Home Premium. This one resumes from sleep mode with no problems. Go figure.

The BIOS bootup time is a little slow, but I can live with that. It's cool to have a three-year-old board working with HDMI 1.3 and Blu-ray.