Optiplex 745 graphics problem - Video - Desktop - Dell Community

Optiplex 745 graphics problem

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Optiplex 745 graphics problem

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have an optiplex 745.  It started giving me black screens, sometimes, white, blue, green red, - like the graphics test screen colours.

I have ran the dell diag an this has reported no problems.

I've formated the HD, reinstalled Windows xp, and installed all the drivers, but the same thing happens.

Formatted the HD again, installed the Desktop system, chipset, then went to install the graphics driver, but the screen goes blank.

the machine will work perfect in safe mode,.  If i remove the Intel graphics controller drivers the machine will boot normally.

As soon as I install the Intel q963/q965/g965 graphics driver, the machine stops working.

The screen goes blank and they only way to restore it is to hold the power button for approx 10 seconds.

There are no errors in the event viewer.

It looks like there is an issue with the graphics driver, but how do i resolve it?

thanks

All Replies
  • The additional video card fixed the color block problems on the computer I had, but after a while the system started locking up at random times.  We suspected the motherboard, and troubleshooting ruled out several other things.  I have a new motherboard on order and will post once it's delivered and installed.  I placed the order before the post was made about bad capacitors.  I can't quite tell if the ones on our board are bad.

So, you might want to hold off on the video card because it might not fix the problem after all.

• UPDATE:  My initial video BIOS change did not restore the computer to full functionality.  It was still completely freezing up (no mouse activity, no keyboard response, display completely frozen or black, no disk activity) at random times.  Troubleshooting of other components did not isolate the problem.  I ordered a replacement motherboard ($145 plus tax and shipping).

After that, Buddy cclla posted about the capacitors on the motherboard.  I couldn't be certain if the capacitors on the original motherboard were swollen.  I didn't see any corrosion.

The replacement motherboard arrived today.  When I compared the two, I could feel that the capacitors on the original motherboard were definitely swollen at the top.  I changed out motherboards and the computer booted normally.  It has been running continuously for 2 1/2 hours now without any lockups. 

Incidentally, the BIOS currently has the video set to AUTO, which is Dell's default.  There were no color blocks on boot.

• AAnglin

UPDATE:  My initial video BIOS change did not restore the computer to full functionality.  It was still completely freezing up (no mouse activity, no keyboard response, display completely frozen or black, no disk activity) at random times.  Troubleshooting of other components did not isolate the problem.  I ordered a replacement motherboard ($145 plus tax and shipping).

After that, Buddy cclla posted about the capacitors on the motherboard.  I couldn't be certain if the capacitors on the original motherboard were swollen.  I didn't see any corrosion.

The replacement motherboard arrived today.  When I compared the two, I could feel that the capacitors on the original motherboard were definitely swollen at the top.  I changed out motherboards and the computer booted normally.  It has been running continuously for 2 1/2 hours now without any lockups. 

Incidentally, the BIOS currently has the video set to AUTO, which is Dell's default.  There were no color blocks on boot.

The machine has now run continuously, including having Photoshop open, for 17 hours without locking up or losing video.

• Hello AANGLIN,

Where did you purchase the replacement MB and what is the part number?

Thanks,

John

• jaloi2010

Where did you purchase the replacement MB and what is the part number?

I contacted Dell Support, and they sent me a quote.  The Dell part number was HH330.  It came with a 90 day warranty.  Dell price was $144.99 plus shipping.  Other online vendors sell it as well.

• AAnglin

I contacted Dell Support, and they sent me a quote.  The Dell part number was HH330.  It came with a 90 day warranty.  Dell price was $144.99 plus shipping.  Other online vendors sell it as well.

Thank you for the information.

• The board can be repaired for less then $15 in parts if you can do a little soldering. The parts can be found online if you do a Google search for "Dell Optiplex 745 repair kit"  We repair them in our shop with great results. The faulty caps are not a Dell Computer only problem, HP, Compaq and others have had the same issue with motherboards, Dell just sells so many that they get more news reported.

Buddy

• AAnglin
    The machine has now run continuously, including having Photoshop open, for 17 hours without locking up or losing video.

Five days and no problems.  Pretty sure the motherboard was the source of the troubles.

• I realize these posts are a few months old, but I'm wondering if either of you ever found a resolution your 745 graphics driver issue?  I'm having the same problem with a lab I manage - about half the USFF 745's are exhibiting very similary behavior....when the machines boot to the XP desktop, within a matter of seconds, the screen goes black and the fans spin up  rapidly.  The only way out of it is to do a shutdown at the power button.  On affected machines, I can't do much troubleshooting from Windows, because the desktop only stays up for about 10 seconds before the screen goes black and the fans start spinning.

I too downloaded the Intel driver, both from Dell's website and I tried the driver available on Intel's website...no joy.  Within seconds after booting up with the new driver installed, the boxes will go to black screen, fan spins at 100%, etc.

Installing a fresh image did not work.  Performing a clean install of XP with no other software installed did not work.  I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• I think that the accepted solution here is to just replace the board.  If you have the skill, you can get the repair kit that was mentioned earlier and replace the blown caps.

• Can someone link to a good replacement board from Tiger or someone like that?  That would be super!!!!!

• , Does the pc work fine in Safe Mode?

• Antontoo, the same thing happens in Safe Mode - a few seconds after the desktop comes up, the screen goes black and the fan starts spinning very rapidly.

Through much troubleshooting, I was able to determine that this behavior is related to the video card driver - I performed a clean install of  Windows XP, and while using the built-in VGA driver, the computer performs just fine.  No black screen, no fan spinning.  As soon as I install the Intel graphics driver, the problem re-occurs.  I downloaded the newest version of this driver from Intel's web site, and it still occurs.  So what I've had to do to make these computers functional (they are out of warranty) is to use the built-in XP vga driver.  The display is not as good as it would be with the correct video card driver, but these are generic lab machines so it'll have to do.

What's annoying is that this problem has started to crop up on other USFF 745's in different labs...I've got about a dozen affected machines right now.  I really wish Dell would fix this issue!

Strange, because Safe Mode uses builtin VGA driver.

Either way - yea it seems like the same issue.

Since you have like 12 pc's all with the same issue dell may work with you (though I seriously doubt it) - the fix with dell would be Mother Board replacement.

Otherwise you could get a bunch of those transistor replacement kits and start soldering, because it will cost you ~$15 per repair kit and $175+ for new MBs.

P.S. We have about 15 745s and so far 1 failed (in 2 years).

• OK.....  So what I really want to know is will a random Mini ATX motherboard from Tiger fit inside the case?  I'm going to have my CIO buy one to test with.  If that works, our replacement cost will be cut in half.