ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 problem

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 problem

• Good day, I'm new

I have an 1 1 / 2 years old demension E521 with an ATI Radeon X1300/X1550. Since a few days
    the graphicard reload from time to time. The screen are black again and again for a Secunde. A friend said the graphics chip could be broken. What can I do?
    And sory for my REALLY bad englisch. :smileywink:
  • If the computer is still under warranty, then you would want to contact Dell.  If not, disconnect the monitor cable from your video card and connect it to your integrated graphics.  If you don't experience the same issues then you will probably need to replace the card.  If you replace the card, I would upgrade to something better depending on what your needs are.  Even an X1650Pro would double your performance.  Replacing what you have may only cost you $20 from Newegg

• Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
    • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• Hi,

I have tried installing an ATI X1550 card in the PCI slot. Card lists up in "Display" ok.

Problem is when I boot up computer I don't get the screen showing Dell and the F2 option for going into bios although the video is set to auto in the bios. Also the keyboard light is not on until windows boots up.

Remove the ATI card, system back to normal?

any ideas

• That card I assume is a PCI Express x16 card not a PCI card, correct?  You may try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling an updated driver from ATI.  If that does not work, then I would look a getting a new card.
    • Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• no the card is a "PCI" card suitable for 3.3 volt PCI slot, NOT PCI EXpress
  • Well then...I would just get rid of that card and get a PCI Express x16 card.  The PCIE bus in much faster than PCI and is for dedicated video cards.  Did you put that card in yourself?  It does not seem right that Dell would have put in a PCI video card in a system that can use PCI Express.

• This computer came from Dell with a PCIexpressx1 slot ONLY not PCIExpressx16 hense the reason for trying something better then the onboard 8mb video system. And yes I am trying to get the PCI card to work!!
  • According to specs, the E521 has an pci express x16 slot.  Are we talking about the same model?  As the other poster alluded to, use the pci express x16 slot for video.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/specs.htm#wp1052310

Good Luck

Dale

• Darkkingdom wrote:
    Good day, I'm new

I have an 1 1 / 2 years old dimension E521 with an ATI Radeon X1300/X1550. Since a few days
    the graphicard reload from time to time. The screen are black again and again for a Secunde. A friend said the graphics chip could be broken. What can I do?
    And sory for my REALLY bad englisch. :smileywink:

I have an E521 of similar vintage with, presumably, the same ATI Radeon X1300 Pro card that was fitted as a standard upgrade option when I bought the PC ... and, as far as I can tell, identical symptoms over that past few weeks. The screen will occasionally blank, for less than a second, and restore for no apparent reason.

I'm pretty certain that this is a software / driver issue rather than hardware, possibly caused as a result of a recent Windows update (in my case Vista). On seeing your post, I checked to find that my drivers were about a year old. I have installed the latest drivers from ATI (8.541.0.0, dated 23/09/2008) and so far haven't had a recurrence of the problem since ... though its very early days yet :smileywink:

I'll post back with an update if the problem recurs or when I decide it really is 'fixed'.

Message Edited by Philip42h on 10-25-2008 05:14 AM

• Philip42h wrote:

... I'll post back with an update if the problem recurs or when I decide it really is 'fixed'.

OK, that didn't fix it! I still get occasional 'blank' screens. It seems only to occur after the graphics card has been placed into a power save mode / Sleep ...

Maybe the next thing to try is to revert to the latest version of the driver available from Dell.