Trojan alert on Graphics Driver update R106456.exe received from Dell Support/Microsoft

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Trojan alert on Graphics Driver update R106456.exe received from Dell Support/Microsoft

• I got a Dell Support PopUp advising me to Download a new Graphics Driver update.  I downloaded it.  When I RUN it I get an AOL Security warning that R106456.exe contains a Trojan.  Then I chose BLOCK.

Is this a valid update to the Graphics Driver?  Why is it being flagged as a Trojan?  Should I over ride and install it anyway?
  • Hi StarkBobby.

Did you get an answer?  If so would you post it on this forum?  I too received the auto update message but the author is UNidentified so I haven't executed it yet.   Have been trying to determine whether it is safe to open.  Everything else looks normal except for the "Get It>"  instead of "Fix It>" at bottom of the pop up .

Thanks,

Marty

• No answer yet.
  • Star K Bobby.

I went online with Dell.  The first chat guy gave me a different upgrade to download. We got disconnected because i took over a minute to respond.  The second said to go ahead and open it and that it would not carry a virus.  I did .  All is OK. 

So your virus may be elsewhere too.  Have you run your anti-virus software? 

Marty

• What video card is this for? You shouldn't be using video drivers from Dell anyway, so it's a moot point. Just download directly from Nvidia or ATi depending on your card.

Also, personally I'd get rid of that Dell support software as it's blowing CPU cycles for nothing. Just check for updates every couple of months on your own.

• tigerwolf7 wrote:
    What video card is this for? You shouldn't be using video drivers from Dell anyway, so it's a moot point. Just download directly from Nvidia or ATi depending on your card.

Also, personally I'd get rid of that Dell support software as it's blowing CPU cycles for nothing. Just check for updates every couple of months on your own.

totally agree with tigerwolf7 on all counts
    Nvidia has quick driver upgrades. Dell takes months to post them on their site.
    But you usually only need to upgrade drivers if you have trouble with one of the hot new games. Or if you have a top of the line card where they are still making improvements.

http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    I don't deal with ATI.
  • My Dimension 2400 does not have a separate Video Card.  It is on the Motherboard.
  • In that case it probably dosen't matter much if you get the updates from Dell or Intel (or Windows Update). You can try just going directly to Dell's support site and downloading the newest driver from there. Or just see if Windows Update has one.
  • Hi again Star K Bobby.

Tigerwolf is right. When I went to Dell support, one tech said to go ahead and download as long as the pop-up takes you directly to  dell support page.

Regarding the file name... Even though I downloaded from the pop-up- directed page showing file  R106456.EXE

it actually down-loaded file R86399.EXE Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video driver upgrade

which is that the first tech originally said to do. (We were disconnected before i could clarify why it was a different file.)  I too have the Dim 2400 and did exactly as the popup directed, so obviously that's why the 1st tech referred that file to begin with. 

If your warning says you have a trojan virus, then obviously do not open/run it.   My security warning only said that the publisher was unknown so beware, it could have a virus.  The techs say OK - it happens - quantity of upgrades, they forget to sign them sometimes, so just verify that you are downloading from dell suppport page.

Again, run your anti-virus, unload or delete the file since you've not run it yet. 

If you do not get another pop-up after you remove the original download and restart your computer,  you can find it by going directly to :

http://support.dell.com

Enter R106456.EXE into dell's advanced search found at the upper right of the page. 

If , after downloading again, you get the trojan warning again, try downloading R86399.EXE and see if you get the same warning.  If so, sounds like your antivirus is the issue.

And thanks, tigerwolf7, for all that you do with this forum.  You are great !!

Marty

• The DELL pop-up window indicated my Graphics Driver was not up to date and I downloaded the driver to a CD.  When I went to load it, my spyware said it was blocked because of a possible Trojan virus.

File was R106456  graphics driver exe file 4.37 MB on 2/6/06.
    32 bit soft extractor module.

Is this a legit upgrade or a possible virus??  I sent an email to Xceed Software as well.
    That was indicated in the field as well.

I just joined the Dell Forum today and I'm not much of a computer tech so thought I'd post here for some input.  I read the following on the Forum:

"If your warning says you have a trojan virus, then obviously do not open/run it.   My security warning only said that the publisher was unknown so beware, it could have a virus.  The techs say OK - it happens - quantity of upgrades, they forget to sign them sometimes, so just verify that you are downloading from dell suppport page. Again, run your anti-virus, unload or delete the file since you've not run it yet."

Would it be wiser to just discard the CD into which I downloaded the file and go directly to :  http://support.dell.com  ??

"Enter R106456.EXE into dell's advanced search found at the upper right of the page."

"If , after downloading again, you get the trojan warning again, try downloading R86399.EXE and see if you get the same warning.  If so, sounds like your antivirus is the issue."

How important is it to upgrade the Graphics file??  Is it worth the risk?

Take care.

HC

• Just download the file directly from Dell.com and there won't be any risk of it having a virus. Also, just save it to your hard drive. There's no reason to write it to a CD first.