old joystick to new computer? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

old joystick to new computer?


Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

old joystick to new computer?

  • Old joystick is Microsoft Force Feedback with a 15 space plug I think.  Is there a way to adapt this to a USB cord?  I have emailed Dell twice.  First response told me to plug into Green # 17 serial connector.  Wrong size, does not match.  Second effort got me a Windows site to go to.  This told me how to plug an use USB cables.  This cannot be this hard.  Is there an adapter to convert my joystick to a USB port or an adapter to go to the serial port?  Thanks in advance, Jim.
  • There are adapters, but I can't vouch for how well they work.  Either do a web search or check at stores such as Best Buy, Circuity City, CompUSA, etc as they should have what you're looking for.  On the other hand, a new USB joystick may be fairly close in price to what the adapter/converter is.

    I am not a Dell Employee

    Dell forum member since 2002

    Home Built PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.


    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

  • Hello-They do make gameport to USB adapters, usually about $15 retail in the USA. They work most of the time, not as well with older joysticks, not as well with force feedback units.
  • For those scanning these boards--Do not use a gameport to USB adapter on Win XP for the Sidewinder joysticks. They will not be recognised. If you have a Sidewinder you are stuck with Win 98 or earlier. Only solution is to buy a new USB joystick.