asms file missing during XP reinstall

• I was installing my programs onto my new:

Dell Dimension 4400
    1.6 gHz
    256 MB DDR RAM
    40 GB HD
    64 MB GeForce 2
    Windows XP Home

I was installing Nero 5.5 and it then asked to reinstall to finalize the installation of Nero. Well, apparently, Nero doesn't work with XP and it failed to tell me so. XP froze on the colorful Windows XP loading screen. It just kept scolling the bar and never continued.

I called Dell and talked to them and the woman on the phone directed me how to change my boot sequence to boot from my Dell included XP disk. I was trying to repair and it was unsuccessful. At the suggestion of the woman, I tried reinstalling XP and it was fine until a box popped up telling me that I was missing a file called 'asms'. I told the lady and they are sending me a new Recovery disk. Anyone else have the same problem and know how to fix it??

• sorry to hear of your problem with dell. i think i've just experienced the same problem with nero and XP. i installed a couple pieces of burning software and received conflict messages. when i tried to reboot after repairing the conflicts by throwing the .sys files away the system froze and i couldn't restart from safe, last good, or normal mode. repairing the installation has brought up the same message:"the file 'asms' is missing. . .," and then a prompt to find the file which is supposedly on the cd.

i think i'll just call dell as getting away from this prompt seems to be impossible now that i'm this far.

• "The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message When You Install Windows XP

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.