Why do my settings keep changing back?!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Why do my settings keep changing back?!

• Some of my settings...ie...sounds....keep going back to what they were originally set at? I keep changing them and do the "OK" and "APPLY" and they might stay that way for a day and then next time I boot up they are back to default.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!

Dirinda Skelton
    Raintree Miniature Schnauzers
    NW Arkansas
    Dimension 4400
    Brand new and loving it!

©

• If you don't shut the PC down correctly ie using the shutdown procedure and allowing it to shut down or you shut the power off prematurely it reverts to whatever the previous settings were since its last shutdown process. If this is not the case then you might be missing some privileges.
    banjo

Dimension 8200
    P4 1.8GHz
    512 Mb PC800 RDRAM
    60Gb HDD (Maxtor)
    64mb GeForce2 MX w/TV out card
    15" Flat Panel
    16-10-40 CDRW (Samsung)
    16x DVD (NEC)
    Dell Quietkey keyboard
    Microsoft USB Infra Wheel IntelliMouse
    Altec Lansing Wireless Speaker System
    SB Live
    Cambridge Sound Works FPS2000 speakers
    HP 4L Laser Printer via USB extension
    HP 1315 PhotoSmart Printer w/SmartMedia drive
    UMAX Astra 3400 Scanner
    10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    3 Belkin F5U001 USB Hubs
    eUSB SmartMedia Adapter
    Logitech WingMan Force USB
    Logitech Webcam Pro 3000 w/mic
    Westfall DSL Modem via Verizon
    Win XP Home Edition
    Win XP Sm Bus Office
    Norton Utilities System Works
    Zone ALarm
    IE 6.0, Netscape 4.7 and 6.2 and Real1Player
    Sevice Tag 5QVS011
    BIOS Ver A03

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

• No, I'm shutting it down correctly. Privileges?

Dirinda Skelton
    NW Arkansas
    Dimension 4400
    Brand new and loving it!

©

• Skelty,
    This may be a minor point. But you said "OK" then "Apply". Some things only work when you "Apply" first then "OK". Sorry if you didn't mean to say it in that order, I believe Sound has to be Apply first then OK.

Love your little Doggies,

Marvin P

XPS B800r
    512MBz Ram
    Windows XP (2/1/02)
    &
    512MBz Ram
    XP
    Truck Vanity Plate "Dell4Me"

MarvinDevil

• Marvin, Yep, I said it backwards....well, not backwards, just didn't get all of the OK's in there. Haha
    When I choose the sound I want to change to, I click OK from that box and then from the "sound window" I hit apply and then ok again to close.
    This morning after turning on computer the sound has stayed. It may or may not stay all day and if I turn computer off and reboot it may be default again. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. It's probably something I'm doing and I have to say that XP is a whole lot different than 98 so I have lots to learn.
    Thanks for your input.

Dirinda Skelton
    NW Arkansas
    Dimension 4400
    Brand new and loving it!

©

• n/t
    Marvin P

XPS B800r
    512MBz Ram
    Windows XP (2/1/02)
    &
    512MBz Ram
    XP

XPS B800r
    512MBz Ram
    Windows XP (2/1/02)
    &
    512MBz Ram
    XP

MarvinDevil

• No.  This is a real problem that I have seen happen to others, and is now happening to me too, on this Dimension 4600 that I just bought from Dell.  In my case, it doesn't matter how many times, and in how many ways I tell it to show window contents while dragging.  (Display Properties->Appearance->Effects)  Upon reboot or log off/log on, this setting is lost, reverting to dragging an empty frame.  It is extremely annoying, and I need to find the solution.  Any tips would be welcome.  Thanks.

Privileges?  My acct is a full system admin.  What privileges could I be lacking under that?

• Oh, my my.  Egg on Dell's face on this one.  I found ther answer:

C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe

If this startup item is removed (using msconfig.exe) the problem disappears.  If the Dell Media Experience icon on the desktop is double-clicked after the bootup component no longer works, it does nothing, *except* screw up the window-dragging setting again.  Clearly, Dell has some bug fixing to do before their Media Experience software is useful.  My sympathies to those who bought the remote control for it.  Thankfully, I did not. 

• Ah, I also bought a 4600 earlier this month, and had the exact same problems.  It was driving me crazy... I even spent a couple of hours on the phone with dell-all to no avail.  I ended up reinstalling Windows XP from scratch, which fixed the problem.  But from what you're saying, maybe what fixed it was that I never did reinstall that annoying "Dell Media Experience"...
  • Yes, that was definitely it.  I removed the Dell Media experience icon from the desktop, and have not re-enabled the startup-initialized service.  Window dragging is exactly what it should be, and has been that way since my last message above.

Just as a general tip from a programmer with over 20 years experience, when tech support tells you to reinstall from scratch, it means that they have absolutely no clue what's causing your problem.  They want you to blast away everything, hopefully including the cause of the problem.  It saves them from having to do any real work on the issue, and saddles you with the heavy task of rebuilding your software system.  I have yet to reformat once to solve an issue other than a dead hard drive.  It's a shotgun approach that leaves you in the dark, and from which you learn nothing.  The popular "when in doubt, reformat" advice did not come from me.