Computer Crash! Can't do anything!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Computer Crash! Can't do anything!

• Hi,

I went to turn on the power of my computer Monday morning and a few different screens came on and I figured it was a virus. This is a fairly new computer (I got it in November - Dell Dimension P4 1.5ghz 256Ram WinXP), so I hope there's no problems. I'm pretty sure I didn't download anything online the day before, but one can never be to sure. The computer can not get to the desktop; it's always going in a loop(cycle). So, here in order, are the screens that appeared on my computer.

Bios Screen loading(first screen that comes on computer-it's the normal start-up screen)

then a black screen with white letters says:
    "WARNING:
    Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advsiable to immediately backup your data and replace your harddisk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation.
    <>

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

After pressing f1, or f2 for setup and then pressing escape, it brings you to the following black screen with white letters:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous startup attempt was interuppted due to a power failure, or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure waht caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

(Choices)
    -Safe mode
    -Safe mode with Networking
    -Safe mode with Command Prompt
    -Last Known Configuration(your most recent settings)
    -Start Windows Normally
    Seconds until Windows Starts:20(counts down)"

If I try 'Last Known Configuration' or 'Start Windows Normally', a black screen for about 10 seconds(computer makes sound like it's starting up/loading) appears, then goes on to the next step(blue screen)

If I try ANY of the 3 Safe Modes, the screen fills up with a few lines of Windows files ending with .nls, .fon, and .sdb. and about 20 lines of different Windows\System 32\Drivers\"X".sys, lines, with "X" substituted for different file names. In the beginning of each of these lines it says "multidisk'@'rdisk'@'disk'@'partition", where '@' stands for different numbers/symbols (can't really tell ). Then the screen waits a few secs, then goes to next step (blue screen)

Then, the most important part, for a split second, a BLUE screen pops up with white letters and says(2 paragraphs):

"Stop: C:0000218 (Registry file failure)
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \systemboot\system32\config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support
    for further assistance."

This screen appeared so fast, I actually had to record the screen with a camcorder to actually read what it said. This is the end of the cycle. Right when this comes off the screen, the computer restarts and shows the first normal BIOS-loading screen, and goes back to the beginning of the cycle.

I assume that this blue screen is the actual virus, since it says things like 'physical memory dump complete' and it might be downloading my C: drive to someone elses computer. After 2 cyles of this, I tried turning off the computer (pressing power button) during the '10 second black screen' and it didn't let me turn off until after the blue screen flashed and then the BIOS loading screen came. Only then was I able to turn off by pressing the power button. After power was cut off, I disconnected Ethernet cable from back of computer, because maybe files were coming off my computer and being put on someone elses. After turning on again, it still says of the 'memory dump complete' on the blue screen. I don't want to touch my computer again until I know what problem it is, so I won't further harm my computer. I still have all my Windows/other programs backup CDs that came with the computer; so I can reinstall if I have to. Hopefully it isn't that serious.

There probably is no other choice though.
    Please help. Thanks for reading.

Sergio
    slabrego@Hotmail.com

• You need to call Dell Tech support on this one. You'll get put on hold, just hang in there. I think it's probably associated with a bad HDD or drive controller. Good Luck

Cowboy Wisdom:
    "If you can't squat with your spurs on, you ain't a real cowboy."

- Bob -
    7XDB8

• The first error message you get explains the whole problem. It's a bad hard drive or controller. It happens... even with new systems. Call Dell tech support.

slabrego wrote:
    -
    - then a black screen with white letters says:
    - "WARNING:
    - Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected that
    - drive 0 on the primary EIDE controller is operating
    - outside of normal specifications. It is advsiable
    - to immediately backup your data and replace your
    - harddisk drive by calling your support desk or Dell
    - Computer Corporation.

• Thanks for the info.

Do you think I will have to reinstall WinXP or anything? Obviously everything on my hard drive is gone, right? Will I have to pay to get it repaired?

Message Edited on 02/27/02 10:47PM by slabrego

• Hi

Yes, You will have to restall XP Dell will help you with this, via phone, but backup any files and data if you want to save them, and no you should not have pay for the repairs, your warranty will cover it.

Bev

Message Edited on 02/27/02 11:22PM by shesagordie

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell