PC Card Won't Fit PCMCIA Slot in my 4600C

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

PC Card Won't Fit PCMCIA Slot in my 4600C

• I have a Dimension 4600C with dual, front PCMCIA slots. I recently purchased a Linksys Notebook Adapter (model WPC11 v.4) to connect to my home 802.11 wireless network. The Linksys card works just fine in my Inspiron 8150 notebook -- it goes all the way inside the notebook's slot, the card's status/power lights come on, and the notebook recognized it as new hardware.

But the card won't go all way into the 4600C's PCMCIA slot; it does not fit snugly; the lights don't come on and the Dimension obviously does not see the card as installed hardware. A visual inspection of the PCMCIA slot, plus measurement with a paper ruler, seems to show that the PC Card is going in as far as the slot allows. The Dell Control Panel system reports that both slots are "working".

Is the PCMCIA slot of the 8600c shorter for some reason? Do I need a special PCMCIA wireless adapter? Could the power cable to the PCMCIA slots simply not be connected, after all? I bought the Linksys card to connect the 4600C to my wireless network; so far, no luck.
  • Searcy Brown,

There are several types of cards and slots. Some slots will support more than one type of card but will not support all. Make sure that the card is of the type that the slot supports. By the sound of it this card is not supported by the slot if it will not fit into it.

• Thanks. After reading your post, I down-loaded the reference manaual and it reported that the Dimension 4600C works with 16-bit cards ONLY. The LinkSys wireless adapter I purchased is a 32-bit card. I'll see if I can get more details about the specific type of card this system supports; and then I'll take the LinkSys I have back to Fry's and see if they have another model (hopefully, another LinkSys) that is "16-bit".

Thanks, again.