Computer locks up after being idle for 5min or more?:

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Computer locks up after being idle for 5min or more?:

• My computer hasn't been responding after being idle for longer than 5 minutes. It doesn't always happen but it happens more often than I care for. Anyway, I do not have my computer setup for standbye mode, I just have the monitor turn off after 5 minutes.
    I can't do anything other than pressing the reset button.
    I thought McAfee Virus Scan might be the culprit but I turned it off and my computer still locks up intermitently. I've got a 266D which is now a 733 celeron, and am running Win98SE. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hacker3
  • You should have the monitor set to turn off after 30 minutes and the HD after 1 hour. If you have a screen saver setup how long do you have it set to start? Set your screen saver to start at about 10 minutes and then have the monitor set to 30 minutes. If problem persists change to another screen saver.
    Dave
  • Thanks for the response but I've had this monitor set to turn off after 5 minutes ever since I've had this computer. I'm not sure why you suggested what you did but I was just trying to fix a problem that I've never had before until recently. I don't want to add a screen saver or change the timing of when my devices turn off. Thanks anyway.

hack
  • Guess you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say add a screen saver if you were not using one. I made the suggestions because if you are using a screen saver and have the monitor turning off after 5 minutes this could be a problem and you might need to change the monitor shut off time and or screen saver. Since you just stated you aren't using a screen saver then my suggestions do not apply anyway.
    Good luck.
    Dave