power drain

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

power drain

• last couple of days my computer would go black every now and then and i would have to power off and power on..yesterday that didnt work and when i looked at diagnostic lites on back on the dimension 4500

b and d were yellow and a and c green..  for once i got tech help(in India) that was able to help me.

evidently there was a power drain...

last week i got an audigy 2nx external usb sound card...i'm wondering if that caused power drain and if so is it better to just plug it in when i need soound rather than leave connected all the time?

thanks

• I wouldn't think that would cause the "power drain" from the system.  Unplug it and run for a day or two (or however long it takes for the "power drain" and see if disconnecting the unit fixed the problem.  If it does, consider getting a "powered" USB hub (one that has it's own power supply for the USB ports rather than taking power from the PC).

Message Edited by fireberd on 12-17-2003 01:31 PM

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• how does powered usb hub work?  i had a belkin usb hub once..dont think it was a powered hub
  • A "powered" hub has it's own power supply and supplies power to the USB devices instead of using the PC's system power for the USB devices.

There are also "non-powered" hubs, which probably what you had, and they use the power from PC.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.