USB/ comm. port Numbers ??

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

USB/ comm. port Numbers ??

• Need to know how to change comm port numbers assigned to front USB ports on a Dimension 4600C.  Thanks !!
  • I'm not sure what you are asking.  The USB ports do not have a port such as "Comm 1", "Comm 2", "LPT1", etc. USB ports are dynamic and the system assigns, for example a drive letter to a camera, etc as it is connected. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks for prompt reply, I have 6 USB ports, 2 on the front, when I first connected extenal TNC's to the USB port it took on the com port number, of com 3. and as I added additional units the com port numbers continued to be assigned. some of the software I use only allows up too com 4. Perhaps, when one gets to be 85 he should just stay with the DOS stuf it only took 5 yrs to get it understood Hi, again THANKS !! Old Syd
  • If you have some software with specific port numbers (sounds like "old" software too, not Win XP compatible), only plug in the ones you want to use first and let them get assigned the useable numbers and then after you have that working, then physically connect whatever else you have. 

BTW, I'm not 85, but I am retired (and in Florida in a housing development with mostly retireees).

I worked in Computers for many years until I retired and Windows XP, to me, is the best Operating System Microsoft has come out with - and I've worked with Microsoft Products since DOS 2.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.