Dell Optiplex 320 with Intel Core2 Quad Q6600/Q6700 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Dell Optiplex 320 with Intel Core2 Quad Q6600/Q6700

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Optiplex 320 with Intel Core2 Quad Q6600/Q6700

This question is not answered

I am calling out to anyone that has attempted this upgrade. The rest of you who just run my information into stock specification and compatibility listings, stay away. Again, don't tell me it can't be done unless you've TRIED it. 

I have an Optoplex 320. It has a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Professional chipset, and an LGA 775 Socket. I am running the latest BIOS 1.1.12. My current CPU is an Core2 Duo E6550, and yes it's supported and fully functional. If you believe it's not, once again, leave this post.

According to Wikipedia, the Q6600 and Q6700 should now work for this particular machine. Several others users have also reported it working, but I can not get a hold of any of them and details given were unfortunately vague. Upon installing I get a solid amber light, no boot, and fans on full throttle. Swapping the CPU's out returns the machine to functionality.

The Q6600 is guaranteed to work (in general), and was tested prior according to the seller. 

And again, the system boots fine with my E6550 CPU. No motherboard problem.

Would a BIOS reset help? Or is there a newer (be it official or custom) BIOS? Or maybe, the 305W PSU (Now 11 years) has degraded to the point where it can't supply enough power to the quad core to boot?

No, I'm not interested in buying a different motherboard or machine. 

Thank you for your time.

All Replies
  • You should always do a hard BIOS reset when installing a new CPU. I hacked an Inspiron 545 motherboard with Xeon microcodes and my multiplier was locked at 6 (instead of 6-9) because I didn't reset the BIOS.

• I see, thanks for that bit of information. I reset it by removing the CMOS battery and discharging the machine. While it did not solve the issue that's definitely good to know, thanks.

• Another thing I would try is updating the BIOS. A friend had a 755 MT and wanted a Q8200, but he was on an old BIOS. After the update, it worked fine.

• As stated in my description, the BIOS is up to date (as far as I can find). Would you recommend using a BIOS update for a different Optiplex Model? I have found I had to download drivers for a 755 to get rid of driver errors on my 320.