240W stock PSU + Mobo powered GPU - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

240W stock PSU + Mobo powered GPU

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

240W stock PSU + Mobo powered GPU

This question has been answered by 53XyH0R53

I have a i3 3668 with 16Gb ram and a SSD + the 1TB 7200. It has a 240W PSU. I want to put a GTX 1050 in it and it is Mobo powered. Is the stock PSU designed to handle everything the stock mobo can handle for power? 

I actually installed already and have no side effects other than great game play. I am worried about long term effects though. 

It seems that the stock PSU should handle what the stock Mobo can handle. Or am I wrong in that line of thinking?

Verified Answer
  • Delta Switching power supplies can handle heavier load than they are rated for.

If you run into problems, Silverstone makes a 300W TFX power supply with a six-pin.

I follow a general rule when modding PSUs or PCs with low-power power supplies:

As long as the total TDP of your parts does not exceed the power output of your power supply, you're good.

My Optiplex has a 120W card (140W OC'd), an 80W CPU, and two 2W drives, that's a total TDP of 222W. I could push it and add a GTX 1060 but I don't want to blow it up, haha.

All Replies
  • I'm powering a Xeon E3 1240 (80W), two 2.5 inch drives, a GTX 1050Ti FTW (140W overclocked) and a bunch of LEDs off of the 250W that came with my 3010. You're good.

• You shouldn't have any problems but it may tax the system at heavy load.  They normally recommend a minimum of 300W on GPUs depending on what you are doing.  Since you have an i3 and SSD, you shouldn't have issues.  If you start getting blue screens or other oddities then you will need to update the PSU.

• Delta Switching power supplies can handle heavier load than they are rated for.

If you run into problems, Silverstone makes a 300W TFX power supply with a six-pin.

I follow a general rule when modding PSUs or PCs with low-power power supplies:

As long as the total TDP of your parts does not exceed the power output of your power supply, you're good.

My Optiplex has a 120W card (140W OC'd), an 80W CPU, and two 2W drives, that's a total TDP of 222W. I could push it and add a GTX 1060 but I don't want to blow it up, haha.