Dell Inspiron 530a Orange Light on Motherboard and no boot on Dell inspiron 530 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Dell Inspiron 530a Orange Light on Motherboard and no boot on Dell inspiron 530

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 530a Orange Light on Motherboard and no boot on Dell inspiron 530

• I found an old Dell Inspiron 530a in my house, it was stored because it didn’t work anymore, so I got in the job of restoring it. I found out the problem was the PSU, so I replaced it and it worked fine for about a week but 2 days ago, the computer froze for almost 2 hours, so I turned off the CPU. After that, the computer does not want to boot, I press the power button on the front of the PC, and it remains in an orange light, and in the inside, there is also another orange light in the Motherboard. The fans start very loudly and don’t stop until I unplug the CPU or I turn it off from the power button. I have tried these “solutions” for what I think is the problem:

Removing the Motherboard battery

Removing the RAM

Disconnecting the 24-pin from the motherboard

Disconnecting everything from the PSU

Switching the jumpers near the batteries

I don’t know what the problem might be, but I am almost sure that the PSU is not, since I bought it with a higher capacity than the original PSU and I have done the tests with a jumper in the 24-pin connector

The new PSU is a  “Coolmax V-500 Series 500W 120mm ATX Power Supply” and everything else are original Inspiron 530a parts.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me

• Hi armandobl,

Thanks for posting.

It appears your motherboard may have failed. 

• Can we assume you meant a 530S, not 530A?

The LED on the motherboard should be on whenever the PC is connected to a working outlet, even if the PC is turned off, so that's not an issue. But all that LED means is that the motherboard is getting 'flea' power from the PSU.

From the 530S manual:

If the power light is steady amber, there may be a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

– Ensure that all power cables are securely connected to the system board

– Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-530s_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

Did you try installing a *fresh* motherboard battery?

With all RAM removed, do you get a 2-beep pattern when you power the system on? If not, Robert is probably right that the motherboard has failed...

If this answers your question, please click  Yes

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Well, thank you both for your answers, I will try the fresh battery, and I'll start looking for a motherboard, anyway, thank you, at least I know what the problem is and I hope I can revive that machine

• So no beeps when all RAM is removed, and motherboard fully/correctly connected to PSU, etc?

Is it worth putting any $ into such an old system....?

If this answers your question, please click  Yes

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• I' know, i was thinking that as it's too olds, it may be just a waste to try to revive it, anyway thank you all