Looking to upgrade my dell optiplex 780 DT - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Looking to upgrade my dell optiplex 780 DT

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Looking to upgrade my dell optiplex 780 DT

This question has suggested answer(s)

So I have been doing a lot of research on the dell optiplex 780 just so I don't make any purchases of anything that wouldn't work in my PC. There are four things I am really focused on getting upgraded right away before I do any thing else like the hard drive and that is the CPU, GPU, RAM, and power supply. The CPU I am planning to get is the Intel core2quad q9650. Knowing that this is a power hungry card and seeing how I am going to overclock it, the card will make some heat so I am planning on getting an aftermarket cooler. Seeing how I can't really just slap on a coolermaster and be good to go I want to get this  I think this would be adequate for overclocking and keeping it cool, but that's where I need the forums to make sure.  The GPU I will be buying a riser card made specifically by dell for the motherboard so that way my dell optiplex 780 DT will support full height cards and I will be getting a GTX 750 ti. The RAM I wont have an issue with just as long as I can find four 2GB sticks of Non-ECC DDR3 RAM running at 1033Mhz and my computer will support the RAM because I have a 64-bit OS and a CPU that will support 64 bit as well. This is where the problem comes in, I don't know what power supply to get. I want to get at least a 400 watt power supply because, even though it's a little overkill with the amount of power, it will be nice to know I wont have any issues in the future if I decide to upgrade again. So what do you guys think? Do you think I should change something? Keep it the same?

All Replies
  • You can't do any of what you are talking about.

If you want to upgrade get a precision T3400/T3500 or better.

The Desktop Riser slot is only 1 slot wide so a 750TI wont fit.

The power supply is not upgradeable to 400W

There is no overclocking on a 780.