XPS 8700 motherboard and mSATA SSD

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 8700 motherboard and mSATA SSD

This question is answered

Are there any differences in the motherboards between the regular XPS 8700 and the Special Edition 8700?   Or all the differences in the configurations of the add-on hardware (memory, hard disk, graphics card, SSD, etc.)?

If I purchase a non-special edition 8700, and I want to add a mSATA SSD, are there any particular brands or specifications I need to consider for the SSD to be compatible?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

David

Verified Answer
  • DELL-Andrew F

Hi dal_4,

Good day and welcome to the community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. The XPS 8700 has an advance graphics card which is expandable to NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 660 1.5G GDDR5. And HDD is expandable up to 2000GB Sata Drives and Up to 16GB Dual channel DDR3 RAM and for the XPS 8700 SE has a discrete grpahics card with 32 GB Dual Channel DDR3 memory and HHD of 3000GB storage. Most likely, the MOBO of the XPS 8700SE is more advanced since it can run up to 32GB of RAM. And for the SSD, here are the most recommended:

• SSD,Msata, mini card,32GB,SATA3,LITEON
    • SSD,Msata, mini card,32GB,Micron
    • 32GB, S3 SSD, MCARD, Liteon, L6M
    • 256GB,S3-SSD, FULL MCARD, LiteOn, M3M
    • SSDR,256,S3,MCARD,LITEON,M6M

Hope this helps. If there's anything else that you need assistance of, just let me know and I'm happy to assist further.

Thanks and Regards,

Thanks for this info.

Where might we find the technical specification and/or part numbers  of the XPS 8700 and XPS 8700 Special Edition, especially concerning the mobos?

All Replies
  • Hi dal_4,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The XPS 8700 has an advance graphics card which is expandable to NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 660 1.5G GDDR5. And HDD is expandable up to 2000GB Sata Drives and Up to 16GB Dual channel DDR3 RAM and for the XPS 8700 SE has a discrete grpahics card with 32 GB Dual Channel DDR3 memory and HHD of 3000GB storage. Most likely, the MOBO of the XPS 8700SE is more advanced since it can run up to 32GB of RAM. And for the SSD, here are the most recommended:

Hope this helps. If there's anything else that you need assistance of, just let me know and I'm happy to assist further.

Thanks and Regards,

• Hi dal_4,

Just a follow up. If further help is needed, just let m e know and I'm glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

• Thank you for the reply and information.   It was helpful, however I would really like to get confirmation if there really is a difference in the motherboards.   Is the non-Special Edition really limited to 16GB?    I realize Dell does not configure it that way for non-SE versions.   Also, are the 2TB and 3TB really limits on the hard drives?    I plan to install two 4TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.  

If there are no differences in the MB, my plan was to purchase a non-SE (8 or 12 GB) and do the upgrade to the SSD for the OS and add the 4TB drives myself as Dell does not offer this configuration and it would be very expensive even if they offered it.    I would then upgrade to 32GB in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

David

• I'm considering buying an XPS 8700 with the i7-4770 processor and wonder if you know the manufacturer and model number of these components on it:

Motherboard

Hard Drive (1T)

Memory (8G)

If anyone has purchased the same machine and taken a look inside I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

• Motherboard is small and i don't think it even has the capability for sli

• I'm actually pretty dissapointed in my purchase, xps used to be cool. My xps720 is a beast...this is like a bunny, i don't even think my graphics card can fit in the case

• Andrew or other Dell Liaison,

I was really hoping to get an answer to my question, as I plan to purchase one of the XPS 8700 units based on this information:

I would really like to get confirmation if there really is a difference in the motherboards.   Is the non-Special Edition really limited to 16GB?    I realize Dell does not configure it that way for non-SE versions.   Also, are the 2TB and 3TB really limits on the hard drives?    I plan to install two 4TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.  

Thanks,

David

• Hi David,

Apologies for the delayed response. As I have previously mentioned, The MOBO is different and HDD limits are correct 4TB cannot be installed on both. And the 16GB limit for non SE is also correct. For anything else, just let me know.

Thanks and Regards,  

• DELL-Andrew F

Hi dal_4,

Thanks and Regards,

Thanks for this info.

Where might we find the technical specification and/or part numbers  of the XPS 8700 and XPS 8700 Special Edition, especially concerning the mobos?

• Dell Motherboard: 0KWVT8

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003

Hynix RAM: HMT451U5AFR8C-PB

• DELL-Andrew F
    The XPS 8700 has an advance graphics card which is expandable to NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 660 1.5G GDDR5. And HDD is expandable up to 2000GB Sata Drives and Up to 16GB Dual channel DDR3 RAM

This can not be true because I talked to a dell service rep last night Jessica M. and she said that the RAM was upgradeable to 32G on the XPS 8700

• I thought I would update with my experience.   I ended up purchasing the XPS8700 through Costco website with the 24GB RAM and the 256 GB SSD for the operating system.   I purchased two to the Hitachi 4 TB hard drives and was able to successfully install them in a RAID 1 (mirroring) configuration (as a D: drive).   It came with a 2TB drive as well which I moved to E:     It came with Windows 8, but I "upgraded" to Window 7 professional.   I needed to install all the Windows 7 drivers found on the Dell website.   It all worked fine.   

The computer is *VERY* fast.   It boots in about 20 seconds and I have not had any significant issues with the hardware.   I am using a dual monitor setup as the video card came with two digital video ports.   

So I don't really know if there is a difference between the XPS8700 SE and the non-SE version of the MB as presumably I purchased the SE version.  

• That's a nice configuration they're selling. I probably would have chosen that if it were available when I purchased mine.

I'm wondering if it has the same motherboard as mine or uses the SE motherboard (if there is a difference).

I have dual 2TB drives in a RAID 1 array right now but would like to know if I can install larger drives in the future.

I might also double the 16 GB of RAM I've got installed now. Those two empty slots look tempting.

Could you post what motherboard yours has? CPU-Z will tell you or you can open a command prompt (cmd) and type

wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version

Thanks.

• Here is the information you requested:   Manufacturer=Dell Inc.   Product= 0KWVT8   Version=A00

I would expect you too could install larger hard drives.

David

• Awesome! Thanks.

It looks the info from the Dell Liaison Andrew F was completely wrong.

I thought a 2TB limit was pretty small for a current machine.