How do I activate windows 8 after tech sent by Dell replaces motherboard on xps 8500 that came with windows 8 installed?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How do I activate windows 8 after tech sent by Dell replaces motherboard on xps 8500 that came with windows 8 installed?

This question is answered

In Feb. 2013 I bought from Dell  a windows 8 based Dell XPS 8500 i7 computer with 16G ram from Dell.   USB 3.0 components do not work correctly and Dell is going to send tech to replace motherboard. 

I noticed on email sent to me from Dell that tech will not make sure windows 8 will run after motherboard is replaced.  That is my responsibility according to email. Information I can find on non Dell sites is that windows 8 product key is tied to bios on motherboard.

Have tried to contact Dell support by email chat (as suggested by email Dell sent me) but can wait no longer for someone at Dell to reply to my request to chat about service call. Request for email chat has yielded 2 results:

First result is message

"You are number (2) in queue."  --That was longtime ago.

Second result was an automated suggestion that I  pay $239.00 for Concierge Service. That of course would be in addition to the express service I was promised.

Want to actually eat a meal on time rather than waiting and waiting and and waiting for so called express service. Have lost many many hours over many days on usb 3.0 problems with computer.  Dell support staff have contradicted one another.  One tech said any problems with USB 3.0 are fault of Microsoft and said to just use only USB ports. After several calls by me, disconnects by Dell, transfers to wrong departments, finally Dell said would send out a tech some time in next few days.

Even if I could today contact someone at Dell about how to get windows 8 running after replacing motherboard, my experience is that I would have to spend long time starting from square 1 again (have done this  many many times) and would get wrong answer. (Computer, except for usb 3.0 works now but apparently will not work after mother board replaced.)

Many thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Gary,

In the event of a motherboard needing to be replaced for a system with Windows 8, a paper Digital Product Key ( also referred to as DPK or Microsoft MB Replacement License keys)  is dispatched together with the service replacement system board as replacement boards are not pre-injected with the DPK. The paper DPK will contain a 5x5 Replacement License key which the tech needs to enter into the system after boot to activate the Operating System.

Sometimes, when the customer is not available or access is restricted to log into the system, the on-site technicians will not be able to enter the product key. In such cases,  the technician will attach the paper DPK Card to the system in a prominent location.

The option to “Activate Windows” resides under “PC Settings” that requires log-in access into the system. Power on the computer, ensure that the computer is connected to the internet, choose Activate Windows from PC Settings, and enter the 5x5 product key shown in the DPK card. If there is no internet connection available, you may need to contact Microsoft for Phone Activation process. Please click on the link below for Microsoft Production Activation Center Telephone numbers worldwide.

http://bit.ly/LlZYu

It is important that you keep your Digital Product Key and not discard it as it will be required in an event of an Operating System re-install. If you lose this product key, you will need to purchase a new product key from Microsoft.

Please reply if you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita S
    #iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

All Replies
  • If the version of Windows installed matches the version in the BIOS, I heard it would activate correctly.

As for Concierge Service, you can buy a copy of Windows 8 Professional from Amazon for $100 or less. I'm unsure as to the USB 3.0 issue, but if the hardware is in good working order, installing the appropriate driver should have the ports working.

Belarc Advisor reputedly will retrieve the Windows 8 product key from the BIOS; supposedly, Dell will provide you with a copy of Windows 8 upon request which can be used to reinstall.

• Hi Gary,

In the event of a motherboard needing to be replaced for a system with Windows 8, a paper Digital Product Key ( also referred to as DPK or Microsoft MB Replacement License keys)  is dispatched together with the service replacement system board as replacement boards are not pre-injected with the DPK. The paper DPK will contain a 5x5 Replacement License key which the tech needs to enter into the system after boot to activate the Operating System.

Sometimes, when the customer is not available or access is restricted to log into the system, the on-site technicians will not be able to enter the product key. In such cases,  the technician will attach the paper DPK Card to the system in a prominent location.

The option to “Activate Windows” resides under “PC Settings” that requires log-in access into the system. Power on the computer, ensure that the computer is connected to the internet, choose Activate Windows from PC Settings, and enter the 5x5 product key shown in the DPK card. If there is no internet connection available, you may need to contact Microsoft for Phone Activation process. Please click on the link below for Microsoft Production Activation Center Telephone numbers worldwide.

http://bit.ly/LlZYu

It is important that you keep your Digital Product Key and not discard it as it will be required in an event of an Operating System re-install. If you lose this product key, you will need to purchase a new product key from Microsoft.

Please reply if you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita S
    #iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

• Thanks for the info.  Tech installed new mother board and got windows activated.  

• Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply.

It is great to know that the motherboard replacement has been completed and windows is activated on your computer. I am sure your computer must be working fine now.

Please feel free to contact us in case of any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita S
    #iworkforDell 

• Hi,

VERY very mad at Dell.

The 'paper' with the key that supposedly is standard in cases like mine? Well nothing like this was enclosed with MY machine when it came back from TX.

Nor did the tech probably even use the right  'PMK' or whatever acronym mentioned here as the proper procedure. He/She seemed to hastily (and knowingly) load an unauthorized copy of windows 8 on my less-than-3-months-old Dell machine that just died for no reason one day.

Nor did the three techs me and my wife called just now, not one word, no one knew a thing, about a 'PMK', or a "paper key procedure" or whatever the acronym was that I cant bother looking up for the purposes of this post. Normally I would but Dell deserves no customer kindness as far as I can see until I get MY KEY back or a new one.

Oh yeah, and the screen looked so nasty when I opened the box. It had this residue of dirty water wiped all over it. it looked like they tried to clean it but
    A) didn't know how
    B) didn't care since it belonged to someone else
    or C)  they were just incompetent as far as cleaning the machine let alone fixing it.

not clean, not fixed, not happy