XPS 8500 blue tooth operation

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 8500 blue tooth operation

This question is not answered

Would like some information on how to use configure BT. I purchased a Logitech MX5500 combo and having problems using their provided BT doggle... just doesn't want to stay connected especially on boot up. Also I don't have a BT icon in the Dell programs for the Dell BT

Thanks, I'm new at thos BT thingy

All Replies
  • PA-Woodchuck,

Is the device rated for USB 2 or USB 3? Here are the USB ports on the XPS 8500. Which ones have you tested?
    USB 3.0: Two Blue Front, Two Black Rear
    USB 2.0: Four Black Rear, Two Black Top Front

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• It's USB 2 and plugged into the top USB. Since my XPS8500 has BT built in, how do I activate it to try the KB/mouse. I let my Ipad do a discovery but the dell didn't show up

• Plug it into the rear USB 2.0 ports which are integrated onto the motherboard rather than the front/top USB 2.0 ports. Bluetooth on XPS 8500 is integrated on the following WLAN Cards offered with the system =
    Dell Wireless WLAN 1703 Half Mini-Card, 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0
    Dell Wireless WLAN 1704 Half Mini-Card, 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0
    Intel 2230 WLAN Half Mini-Card

You did purchase one of those correct? If yes, you do see the WLAN card in the Device Manager? If yes, close the Device Manager.

* Click Start to display the start menu
    * Type Bluetooth in the search box
    * Click Change Bluetooth Settings
    * Select Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area and click OK
    * Click the Bluetooth icon  on the system tray
    * Click Add a Device
    * Select the device from the list and click Next
    * Select Yes if the pairing code is matched and click Next

• Here's a line from the Dell build sheet

430-4735 Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n , Bluetooth v4.0+LE

I will give your instructions a try. BTW, since the BT is intergrated in the Dell shouldn't the KB/mouse be able to connect without the doggle?

• I did a search for bluetooth and wasn't found. Also searched for blue. no luck

• "since the BT is intergrated in the Dell".

That is incorrect. BT is not integrated into the XPS 8500. BT is part of the addin Wireless WLAN 1703 Half Mini-Card. So there has got to be a way to configure the Wireless WLAN 1703 Half Mini-Card to show BT.

• Um, have you enabled bluetooth through windows? it has nothing to do with Dell. Look for "Bluetooth suite" in windows search; follow the instructions; you're done.

• I did a search for "Bluetooth suite" and nothing showed up. I do have a Bluetooth suite program folder but it's empty... so I guess the software is missing. Now all I got to figure out is where to fine it at dell support, not unless someone can provide a link to it?

• Under Windows search, type "bluetooth settings"....go there, and make sure the adapter is enabled (i.e., on).

• If the Dell Wireless 1703 WLAN/BT Combo Half Mini-Card driver is successfully installed...
    * Click start to display the start menu
    * Type Bluetooth in the search box
    * Click on Change Bluetooth Settings
    * Select show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area and click OK

• Thanks, took awhile to find that BT control box in Win 8-64 but I did and connected my I-pad 4th. Another question... how may BT devices can be connected at onetime? It's taking time moving to Win 8 from past version of Vista but I'm getting along.

• No clue. You need to ask the Windows 8 guys on their board. http://dell.to/PqUVPk

• RE:  What exactly is the Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0 +LE?

What is it supposed to do?

I just purchased a new computer to be delivered soon and have no clue what this item does or purpose ?

With this, is is possible to send a signal to my TV whereas I can see my computer screen on the TV (non-smart tv) or would I need some type of receiver?

Thanks,