AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530

This question has suggested answer(s)

Installed new SSD & large HD in four year old computer.  Latest Dell BIOS installed, but does not support AHCI.  Anyway to upgrade BIOS to support AHCI?

All Replies
  • Which Model?  Which Bios Version?

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

BIOS - BIOS

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
    Dell Inspiron Desktop 530s System BIOS, Inspiron Desktop 530 System BIOS, 1.0.18
    Inspiron 530/530s System BIOS
    Recommended 1.0.18 3/11/2009 BIOS

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

• GeorgeSPatton

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

GeorgeSPatton

No.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• GeorgeSPatton

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

You can install a card.  Then install drivers for the card.

Then turn off the onboard SATA and switch to a PCI-E x1 card.

HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The Rocket 600 series are the internal and external low-cost SATA 6Gb/s host adapters. They are fully industry standard AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) compliant and deliver Out-of-Box Ready installation for numerous operating systems. The Rocket 600 series is backward compatible to PCI-Express 1.0 technology and SATA 3Gb/s and 1.5Gb/s devices. They use the same cable and connectors as previous SATA generations to ease integration.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.