AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530

This question is not answered

Installed new SSD & large HD in four year old computer.  Latest Dell BIOS installed, but does not support AHCI.  Anyway to upgrade BIOS to support AHCI?

All Replies
  • Which Model?  Which Bios Version?

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

BIOS - BIOS

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
    Dell Inspiron Desktop 530s System BIOS, Inspiron Desktop 530 System BIOS, 1.0.18
    Inspiron 530/530s System BIOS
    Recommended 1.0.18 3/11/2009 BIOS

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

• GeorgeSPatton

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

GeorgeSPatton

No.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• GeorgeSPatton

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

You can install a card.  Then install drivers for the card.

Then turn off the onboard SATA and switch to a PCI-E x1 card.

HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The Rocket 600 series are the internal and external low-cost SATA 6Gb/s host adapters. They are fully industry standard AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) compliant and deliver Out-of-Box Ready installation for numerous operating systems. The Rocket 600 series is backward compatible to PCI-Express 1.0 technology and SATA 3Gb/s and 1.5Gb/s devices. They use the same cable and connectors as previous SATA generations to ease integration.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• I know this is an OLD post but, if anyone else is interested in getting ahci to work on this machine, just use the raid option. I did and it works ok, just takes a couple of seconds longer to boot.

I did the update of the BIOS to the 1.018 after I had installed win 7 and this setting allowed me to use the ahci setting.

• pendaws

I know this is an OLD post but, if anyone else is interested in getting ahci to work on this machine, just use the raid option. I did and it works ok, just takes a couple of seconds longer to boot.

I did that but am only seeing Raid in Device Manager, not any ACHI device/driver.  In another thread someone apparently came up with a BIOS for this hardware that worked, but that info is gone from the internet.

The performance increase is minimal in my testing - though better.  The greatest improvement is in random seek.