XPS 8300 - Compatibility w/ Radeon HD 7970

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 8300 - Compatibility w/ Radeon HD 7970

This question is not answered

Okay so I have a stock XPS 8300. No hardware updates aside from a Blu-Ray Driver I added.

I want to add an AMD Radeon HD 7970 to it. Can this motherboard support this GPU? I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade my Power Unit.

All Replies
  • Hi Xerlleon,

Radeon HD 7970 - Graphics card should fit in XPS 8300. Ensure that before installing the new Graphics card please remove the software for the old Graphics card.

The Power Supply is also compatible and can be installed in the computer. Please refer to the following link which has instructions to install the Power Supply in the computer: http://bit.ly/VFFD7K

The power supply requirement for the Graphics card is 500W.

Generally, if the Power Supply requirement of video card is more than the Power Supply of the computer, then the Power Supply upgrade is required.

For any clarifications feel free to contact me.

Thanks and regards,
    Madhur B
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi Xerlleon,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back to us. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks and regards,
    Madhur B
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• I recently added a XFX double d black edition 7970 to my 8300. I did order the 8300 with the AMD 6870 and can confirm it has the 500 watt power supply. An adapter, usually supplied with the video card will likely be needed for the 8 pin power adapter on the 7970. The card is working great, the air flow is acceptable and the card stays well within normal operating temperatures even after hours of heavy usage.