I wish to upgrade the CPU of my Inspiron 620s - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

I wish to upgrade the CPU of my Inspiron 620s

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

I wish to upgrade the CPU of my Inspiron 620s

This question has been answered by DELL-Sujatha K

Hello,

I have two questions.

I want to upgrade the CPU on my Inspiron 620s and I'm primarily asking which CPUs are compatible.  I currently have an Intel Core i3 2120 @3.3 GHz.  I have 8GB RAM and I added a NVidia GeForce GT 430.  I believe the PSU that comes with this is 250W.

I'm hoping to upgrade to an i5.  In case your wondering why, I use my PC primarily for digital art programs such as Photoshop and Corel Painter, and those programs are primarily dependent on CPU and RAM.

According to the Dell Support Center, my motherboard is 0GDG8Y and the chipset is Intel PCH H61.  I looked on Intel's site and found a whole list of various CPUs that work with that chipset, but that doesn't mean they'll work with this particular system, hence my coming here.

I contacted Dell and the person told me I could get the i5 2300 or the i5 2400.  I saw in another thread someone mentions the 2320.  Are these my only options?  Looking around it seems as if these have already been discontinued.  I'm hoping I have more options to choose from.

My other question is about replacing the chip itself, if I'm able to find one that's affordable.  Will it be okay to buy the Processor from Amazon or any place like that?  Or do I have to buy it direct from Dell?  I know that Dell uses some propretary stuff and that it's not always so easy to replace certain components.  Also, I've never actually replaced a CPU.  How delicate of an operation is it?  I've been under the hood for many other tasks and have about 15 years experience replacing RAM, hard disks, video and sound cards, etc., so I fell fairly comfortable working on the PCs insides, but I've never dealt with the CPU, so part of me is hesitant about that.

Thanks so much for any help!

-J

Verified Answer
  • Hi poppajoppa,

You can replace with any i5 processor, but make sure it is a Sandy Bridge processor. The chipset on this system is compatible with any Sandy Bridge processors. Dell had shipped Inspiron 620S with i5 2310, i5 2400, i5 2320, i5 2300 Sandy Bridge processors.  You may consider replacing with any one of these processors.

I suggest that you replace the processor only if you are comfortable, as the connection between the motherboard and processor is very delicate.  In case you are not very comfortable, I suggest that you get it replaced by a professional.

You can purchase the processor from anywhere as far as it is Sandy Bridge processor and it is in a sealed box.       

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• Hi poppajoppa,

Since you have already added  NVidia GeForce GT 430 you may consider installing with any i5 or i7 Sandy Bridge Processor which takes 65 Watts PSU.  However there is only one i7 Sandy bridge processor which takes 65 watts that is Core i7 2600S 208 GHz.  Core i5 2500S 2.7 GHz, 2405S 2.7 GHz are the two processor which takes 65 watts.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• Hi poppajoppa,

There will definitely be huge difference in the performance of your computer when upgraded to i5 or i7 processor. However with regards to the power supply, you will have to check by connecting it to the system for it performance.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

All Replies
  • Hi poppajoppa,

You can replace with any i5 processor, but make sure it is a Sandy Bridge processor. The chipset on this system is compatible with any Sandy Bridge processors. Dell had shipped Inspiron 620S with i5 2310, i5 2400, i5 2320, i5 2300 Sandy Bridge processors.  You may consider replacing with any one of these processors.

I suggest that you replace the processor only if you are comfortable, as the connection between the motherboard and processor is very delicate.  In case you are not very comfortable, I suggest that you get it replaced by a professional.

You can purchase the processor from anywhere as far as it is Sandy Bridge processor and it is in a sealed box.       

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Can I really use any Sandy Bridge processor?  I was under the impression that because of the Inspiron 620s' 250 watt PSU, I was pretty limited in my choices.  For example, I can't use any i7s, can I?  

From looking at the CPUs, it seems like most are 95 watt, as opposed to the 65 watt I currently have.  Can I use a 95 watt CPU, considering the PSU I have?  I've already added a Nvidia GeForce GT 430.

Also, do you have any recommendations as to which CPU would be the best, considering the software I like to use (Photoshop, Painter, etc.)?  The CPU I already have (an i3) runs at 3.3 GHz, whereas most of the i5s I see are 3.1 or 2.8 GHz.  Would there be that much of a performance gain because the i5s are quad-core?

Thanks again for answering all my questions!

-J

• Hi poppajoppa,

Since you have already added  NVidia GeForce GT 430 you may consider installing with any i5 or i7 Sandy Bridge Processor which takes 65 Watts PSU.  However there is only one i7 Sandy bridge processor which takes 65 watts that is Core i7 2600S 208 GHz.  Core i5 2500S 2.7 GHz, 2405S 2.7 GHz are the two processor which takes 65 watts.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• Hi Sujatha,

Thanks again!  Just to be clear, as long as I have the GT 430 installed I must use a 65 watt CPU?  If I choose a 95 watt CPU, do I have to remove the video card?

Also, my current i3 is 3.3 GHz.  The i5s and i7s you listed are 2.7 or 2.8 GHz.  Will those still be faster than my i3 because of the 4 cores?  or will the difference be neglible?

Sorry for all the questions.  I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.  Thanks for all your help!

-J

• Hi poppajoppa,

There will definitely be huge difference in the performance of your computer when upgraded to i5 or i7 processor. However with regards to the power supply, you will have to check by connecting it to the system for it performance.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• I have a follow-on question for you.  I also have an Inspiron 620s with an Intel i3-2120 CPU.  I follow your advice above but am wondering if there is any downside to going with a slightly newer/faster form of Sandy Bridge CPU such as an i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz.  It appears to be compatible with the same socket and takes no more than 95Watts like the i5-2400 you mentioned as being compatible.  It also appears the i5-2500 would satisfy the same requirements - can you confirm?   Thanks very much!

• did anyone try any of the I5 or I7 sandy bridge 95w CPU's . I have a inspiron 620 MT with a 300w power supply. Can I use the 95w I5 and I7 sandy bridge CPU's?