optiplex 760 with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

optiplex 760 with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

This question is not answered

Hello,
  We have recently upgraded one of our computer labs that have the optiplex 760 PCs(19 computers) in the lab. they were

running Vista 32-bit Business and we upgraded them to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. We also updated the bios to the current release

of A13 and changed the SATA controller setting to "AHCI" while  it was set to Legacy while running Vista. I researched to

set it to AHCI becuse Windows 7 runs very slowly with the "Legacy" setting under the SATA controller. It did run slowly

until changing to "AHCI". We got all the recent drivers from Dell website especially the Intel controller drivers for ATA

and AHCI. The problem is that the PCs will stop responding/freeze up intermittenly. The mouse pointer will move around or

the the cursor will just be spinning. I can ping any of these PCs while acting with this bevavior, but have to do a power

shutdwon and restart until the behavior returns again. Turned off windows 7 power options,the CPU Wait State is unchecked

in the bios,Any ideas or suggestions do not want to go back to Vista

All Replies
  • I have several of these units running Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 7 32 bit fine. Also they are on A13. I have never experienced such behavior.

Did your Windows 7 install media include Service Pack 1, or did you install Service Pack 1 after the system drivers? If not I suggest you use the Windows 7 Professional 32 bit with Service Pack 1 English .iso here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Also did you "upgrade via a clean install" or "upgrade via an upgrade". If upgrading via an upgrade, these problems are common and system performance generally becomes awful.

See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7 for best results.

P.S. I would recommend going 64 bit and putting 4 GB or more of RAM in each of them unless you have some really old hardware you need to interface with them.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Natakuca,

Thanks for replying ,but I did forget to mention this was a clean install build on 1 of the PCs and used Acronis deployment of the image to all the other PCs. The image PC worked fine for a few days here in the office during testing all the software , so that was when I decided to deploy to our computer lab. The next day after deployment was when I noticed I could not VNC into some of the machines(offsite lab) and went back to the sites and discovered the forementioned issue. We also use Deep Freeze on our workstations, but we have Windows 7 and Deep freeze in other labs but different model Dells,  Thanks