Inspiron 530 will not power on

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 530 will not power on

This question is not answered

After recent power loss (Sandy), my inspiron 530 desktop will not power on.  When i hit start button, green light below power cord connector goes on, as does a yellow light on the corner of the motherboard.  But nothing else goes on including both cooling fans.  When i unplug both the green and yellow lights stay on for about 30 seconds or so.

I removed the power supply and used jumper and fan operated fine - also checked the voltages in the main wiring harness that goes to the mother board and all were OK.  So its not the power supply. 

I have disconnected all of the drives - no difference.

As the yellow light goes on on the board, can I eliminate the power on switch?

What can I check to confirm that this is a motherboard problem?

Can i do anything to get the diagnostic disk to operate so I can check all of the hardware and systems?

All Replies
  • Hi stephen.molis,

I suggest you to disconnect all the cables connected to the back panel. Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds and release it. Connect all the cables back and check if the system turns on when you press the power button. Please ensure that the cable from the Power Supply and the Front I/O panel is connected securely to the motherboard.  You can also remove the memory stick one by one and check if the system turns on.

Please reply to this message with your findings after performing these steps.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rajath N
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India  . For Dell support videos click here.

• Hi Stephen

Thank you for contacting the community.

If there is power getting to the motherboard, that would usually indicate theres not much wrong with the power supply.  After storms, power surges etc... This could usually be the 1st thing to blow.  there still could be an issue with the PSU, but looks unlikely.

Sometimes there could also be an issue with the Front I/O panel.  if you have a look at the front USB ports, do you see any issues with them, bent pins or anything else that looks untoward.  1 way to see if the Front I/O panel is faulty, is to remove this and the cmos battery.  When both are removed, you insert the power cord back in and it would boot if the issue lies with the Front I/O panel.

To do this:  support.dell.com/.../parts.htm

Also, its unlikely;y, but do you have another working 530 where we could possibly test a working power supply from?

if no positive results from all of the above, the best thing to do is strip the system back to PSU, Motherboard and processor to see if the system will power up.  If it doesn't, its likely the PSU or the motherboard. (In your case, likely the motherboard).  If the machine does power on, insert each part 1 at a time, and see what is causing the issue.

Hope this helps out Stephen.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H
    Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I stripped everything off board except the power on switch and still the same result.  The power supply tested out OK so iit is not that.  Any way to discern as to whether its the motherboard or processor?

• Hi Stephen

Did you manage to attempt to power on with the front I/O panel disconnected?

The real only way to test if its the motherboard or processor at fault is to have a swap processor available. But really, 90%+ time it will be the motherboard at fault.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H
    Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• if you mean the panel with the usb insputs, yes that is disconnected as well.   Same result

• Hi Stephen

The only way to check that would be count how many beeps your are getting if there is a beep code at all when you power on.  Other than that, with no swaps, we would usually be looking to replace the motherboard.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H

• no sound at all when power button is depressed

• Good Morning Stephen.

With everything stripped down to Mobo/Processor/Power supply, and with power getting to the board, it looks likely that the motherboard would be at fault.  Let us know how you would like to proceed, and where you are based, so we can get you in contact with the correct department.

Regards

Kevin  

Kevin H

• I replaced the motherboard this morning.  Same result - orange light on motherboard and green light on back of computer go on when powered on.  Otherwise nothing happens.  Just like before.

Any ideas

• stephen.molis

The Inspiron 530 MT was shipped with two different motherboard versions, did you install the compatible version for your system?

If your 530 was purchased with either a Core 2 Duo, Pentium Dual-Core, or Celeron processor and a 300w power supply, this system usually has either a 0RY007/G679R/CU409 [FoxConn G33m02] motherboard, that only supports Core 2 Duo, Pentium Dual-Core and Celeron processors.

If your Inspiron 530 Mini tower was shipped with a Core 2 Quad processor and a 350w power supply, you require the 0FM586 [FoxConn DG33m03] motherboard.

The 0FM586 motherboard can be used for both Quad 4 & Core 2 Duo processors.

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has issues.

If you have the correct motherboard installed, try installing a 'known' working power supply and see if this makes a difference.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

Check out the Corsair and Antec lines of power supplies.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Stephen

Thanks for getting back to us.

Where did you get the motherboard from.  Best guess would certainly have been a motherboard replacement due to the motherboard flee light being on, and the attempt at powering the system on with Front I/O panel and cmos battery removed.  And with no swaps available.

If all of the troubleshooting steps done, we would have went with motherboard, if thats not working, possibly a Power Supply replacement or processor.

As there are no swaps, it is really difficult to pin point the exact problem with an issue like this Stephen.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H

• Got it on eBay - it's a dell xt478 refurbished as a dell rep told me that

was correct replacement part.  Dell could not find one for me so I ordered

it on eBay.

As I said in earlier post, I tested the power supply earlier -  I removed the power supply and used jumpers -  fan operated fine - also checked the voltages in the main wiring harness that goes to the mother board and all were OK.  So its not the power supply.

This motherboard behaves exactly same as original one did

Would bad CPU explain why nothing happens when powered on?

• The motherboard is same number - G33m02 - so both motherboards do exactly same thing.

Got it on eBay - it's a dell xt478 refurbished as a dell rep told me that

was correct replacement part.  Dell could not find one for me so I ordered

it on eBay.

As I said in earlier post, I tested the power supply earlier -  I removed the power supply and used jumpers -  fan operated fine - also checked the voltages in the main wiring harness that goes to the mother board and all were OK.  So its not the power supply.

Would bad CPU explain why nothing happens when powered on?

I have a Dell dim 9200.  Could I temporarily  swap out power supply and CPU into G33m02 board to see if I can isolate the problem?

• stephen.molis

The Dimension 9200 PSU should work in the 530 MT, regards to the processor, as it's a LGA 775, it should also work, providing it's compatible, please post the sSpec number of it.

Note, Core 2 Quad CPUs will not work with the G33m02 MoBo.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• The Dell Dimension 9200

www.dell.com/.../F229RC1