XPS 8300 Network Card problem

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 8300 Network Card problem

This question is not answered

Hi
I have a problem with the motherboard mounted wired network card on my XPS 8300. Sometimes when i reboot the PC or when it comes out of sleep mode the network card is not detected in the device manager. So I have to plug a wireless USB adapter to get any internet. If i shutdown the PC & disconnect the power from the wall for a few minutes, usually (but not always) when I start the PC up the network card works again.
I have checked the Bios and everything seems to be set correctly. I also have another problem that may be connected. Sometimes the PC tries to boot off the wrong hard drive. I need to go into the bios and set the correct boot device and it works fine. It’s almost like the bios forgets the correcting settings. I have a Raid 0 setup if that’s important.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Are you on BIOS revision A06?

There is a large number of people seeming to have a similar problem here with the network adapter here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19411982.aspx?PageIndex=1

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Hi, yes my bios is rev A06. I am going to try some of the things that the other people have surgested. I will report back my findings.

• I have tried to disable the NIC in the bios, save & exit. Then go back & re enable it. And run the diagnostic too & rebooted lots of times. But i can’t get the lights to come on the network card at all. I'm guessing if i can’t get the lights on there is no point in looking at the software solutions.

• Hi Jonnieblue,

The Motherboard will have to be replaced to fix this issue. So please send me a private message with the service tag.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag along with your address, email address, phone number and Best time to reach, so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kiran K
    #IworkforDell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

• Hi Kiran

I didn't get your message in my inbox can you please re-send it?

• Hi Jonnieblue,

I have sent the message now, please check and reply with your details.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kiran K
    #IworkforDell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.      

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community