XPS420 Flashing Amber Power Light and computer won't turn on

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS420 Flashing Amber Power Light and computer won't turn on

This question is not answered

I have an XPS420 model desktop and today the computer when into some "auto save" mode and the Power light started flashing Amber.  We went to restart the computer and now it doesn't turn on but the light continues to flash.  I've read the manual, opened up the computer and every thing looks correctly connected.  How do I know of this is a dead power supply or a seperate issue?  This is a computer for my small business and I'm lost with out it.  Just put a new hard drive a few months ago as that died on me.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Hi Parker1028,

On Dell XPS420 ‘Blinking Amber’ means “the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.”

Please ensure that voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location and the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

To help troubleshoot a problem, the Dell XPS420 has four blue lights labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the top bezel of the cabinet. Please let me know the pattern so that I could suggest further course of action.

Also, I’d like to know if you are getting any beep codes from the system when you try to start the computer.

Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Parker1028

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates the power supply has issues and needs to be replaced.

The XPS 420 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector, are compatible and can be installed.

Because the XPS420 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used, you should be able to buy a replacement from most local and online computer stores.

A power supply, with five SATA power connectors, is required.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Ravi,

I'm having the same problem with my XPS420 can you help me please?

Theres no beeps at all

As soon as I hit the normally blue power button it starts to blick amber constantly

Thanks Toby

• Same problem here (almost)

We had no lights but have replaced the power supply, NOW we have the flashing amber light but nothing else, no beeps either. We've disconnected everything and added them back one at a time - even the little battery!

Any thoughts?

• lights 1,3, and 4 are on, weird sign next to light 2

• I took mine down to the local computer tech who is really good

My otherboard had an electriical short somewhere was going to cost $500 - $800 to fix

Bought a brand new acer 2tb of ram etc for $650

• tobypug

I took mine down to the local computer tech who is really good

My otherboard had an electriical short somewhere was going to cost $500 - $800 to fix

Bought a brand new acer 2tb of ram etc for $650

tobypug

You could have replaced the motherboard, a Dell OEM refurbished XPS 420 motherboard can be purchased for $109.00.

http://www.discountelectronics.com/product?product_id=3658&product_model=74

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• stewarta13wsb

Same problem here (almost)

We had no lights but have replaced the power supply, NOW we have the flashing amber light but nothing else, no beeps either. We've disconnected everything and added them back one at a time - even the little battery!

Any thoughts?

stewarta13wsb

First check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

As you have replaced the power supply, I'll assume that there's a known working power supply installed.

Remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001