Troubleshooting: Motherboard or Power-supply?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Troubleshooting: Motherboard or Power-supply?

This question is not answered

Greetings all,

Recently, my Precision490 Workstation seems to have died. I suspect it's the power-supply, as there are no signs of any life when the machine's plugged in. No lights, no fans, nothing. But I would like to know if there are any quick visual tests/checks I can do before going further. I've already ordered a new power supply so the moment of truth will come in a few days.

Also woud like to know about any cautionary measures to take before installing the new unit and turning the machine on.

Thanks & best,

Nicholas

All Replies
  • Hi Nicholas,

Let us check if there is any light on the back of the computer close to the power supply. If there is no LED glowing near the power supply then the problem can be with the power supply.

Change the power supply cable and then switch on the computer, check if it is powering on.

If not then it might be the power supply which might be causing the issue.

Please do write back to us.

Thanks and regards,
    Madhur B
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community