Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Windows boot manager 0xc000000f NEED HELP (((

This question is answered

Basic information.

Computer, DELL XPS Dimension One

Operating system: Windows Vista home premium

I have saved all my data to external harddrive (one problem less, so the computer can be formated)

Decided to reinstall windows, due to slow working and a lot of rubish on it.

Started the process of backup to factory settings, and during this process (lets say it powered off).

After I switched the power back on, and started the computer it gives an error. Right after the DELL creen where you can press or F2 or F12, so right after it comes the error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2.Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufecturer for assistance.

Info:The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

(and available two menues    ENTER=Continiue     ESC=EXIT      both of them just restart the computer)

This error is before the page where you can press F8. And I put and changed the bios settings to boot from CD (I have Windows Vista Home Premium CD) But it doesn't reed this CD or two others windows CD's. So I can't reinstall the windows, format the harddrive, boot the recovery menu, or  enter to windows. I never had a problem before that the computer doesn't read windows CD, or it couldn't reinstall it. I don't have Windows Vista recovery CD, And I could not get it anywhere, DELL doesn't give it with the computer. Or no free downloading it from windows, dell, or other websites.

As well before posting it here I have searched for a week this problem at internet, and couldn't find anywhere working solucion of it, and many people had this problem and where asking how to fix it.

Could anyone help please?

Verified Answer
  • Good Afternoon

Its really strange.  Some other things to test are powering the system off > remove the cmos battery > power on for a minute >power off > put the cmos back in and power on > this will bring the settings back to factory default.

Depending on the way you purchased the machine, you may not have chosen to purchase the disk.  If there are any other Dell machines that have the windows disk, you can test these.

Other than that, you may need to source a new Windows disk, as these disks you are using may not be working.  Also, test an external optical drive, or a swap.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H
    Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hmmmmm...........

Very strange.

I have taken out the battery before, but I didnt power it on and off.

Right now I have done it, and after puting the right date and time it gave me the option to boot from CD, and started to install windows. 0_o

I don't know why it didn't boot them before, but right now the instalation started.

Thanks a loooooot for an advice!!!

However I don't understand how but it helped !!!

All Replies
  • Good Morning

Thank you for contacting the community.

1 thing to do 1st of all, is tap the f12 button at start-up, and then do the hard drive diagnostics.

In the bios, make sure the system is set to  ATA instead of AHCI

In regards to being unable to reinstall Windows:

1.  Do you have any more boot disks (Dell utilities) to attempt to boot from, or older windows versions.

2.  If there is a problem with the hard drive or optical drive, do you have any swaps.

3.  See if both are visible in the bios.

4.  Would you be ok to go in and re-seat the cables if required.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H
    Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I pres the f12 , and in the menu no such a thing as diagnostics, there is only boot from CD , harddrive, or network something.

At BIOS I can only put Serial ATA Configuration   and to chose between IDE  or AHCI. I swaped them a few times, no effect.

With computer where no CD given. Unfortunatly I don't have previous versions of windows, Just Windows vista (2 different) and 1 cd of Windows 7, non of them work at this computer.

Hard drive Is in good working condition. I was taking it out, cables taking out and putting them back, nothing changed, BIOS see the harddrive and the CD well.

Unfortunatly a part from this dell computer, I have only laptops and netbooks.

The only thing that made some progress was a windows restore CD from one old laptop, I started loading, showing the windows sign and then gives an error thet it is imposssible to restore, wrong version or something like that.

Is there any other Ideas or sugesstions what to do?

I couldn't get anywhere restore CD from this dell computer. or windows system restore CD for this computer.

I don't even know what to do.....

• Could anyone please help me? Or at least some suggestions what I might try to do. I realy run out of choises. I am pretty good with computers and if I could solve it by myself I would never ask anyone else, but i am desperate. I try to fix it for at lease a week, with no success.

PLEASE HELP ((((

• Good Afternoon

Its really strange.  Some other things to test are powering the system off > remove the cmos battery > power on for a minute >power off > put the cmos back in and power on > this will bring the settings back to factory default.

Depending on the way you purchased the machine, you may not have chosen to purchase the disk.  If there are any other Dell machines that have the windows disk, you can test these.

Other than that, you may need to source a new Windows disk, as these disks you are using may not be working.  Also, test an external optical drive, or a swap.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin H

• Hmmmmm...........

Very strange.

I have taken out the battery before, but I didnt power it on and off.

Right now I have done it, and after puting the right date and time it gave me the option to boot from CD, and started to install windows. 0_o

I don't know why it didn't boot them before, but right now the instalation started.

Thanks a loooooot for an advice!!!

However I don't understand how but it helped !!!

• Good Afternoon

Added to the above steps.

Test with 1 stick of memory removed at a time. A faulty memory stick can also cause these types of issues.

Kind Regards

Kevin

Kevin H

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                  

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community