Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 530s Randomly Shuts Down

This question is not answered

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s that will randomly shut down. I am able to start it up, and it will boot into Windows (Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit). And I'm able to do a few tasks. All of a sudden, it will go to the Shutting Down screen, and turn off. It does it at random. There's even this loud noise that accompanies it, like it's a plane about to take off. I have opened it and blew out all of the dust I could, cleaned off both the CPU fan and the case fan. I reseated the memory and the hard drive. I even plugged in another hard drive to test and see if it was a hard drive issue, and it did the same thing. So I ended up doing a clean install of Windows. However even during the install, it shut down. From reading other posts and searching on Google, I am unsure of whether this is a power supply issue, a motherboard issue, or an overheating issue. Is there anything else I could check to determine the cause? Thank you!

All Replies
  • Hi

The cause of the issue could be due to the updates not being properly installed on the system.
    Would also recommend you to do a system restore and take the system to a prior date when it was working fine.
    To perform System Restore click on the link below:

http://dell.to/JEe9aR

You can refer the Dell Article 266590 on www.support.dell.com
    In order to check the point of failure I would recommend you to do a system diagnostics. You can follow the instructions below:
    1. Turn Off the Computer
    2. Turn the computer back on
    3. At the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again). 
    4. At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics
    5. Please make a note of the error message if there is any.
    You may also try updating the BIOS to the latest version by following the link below:

http://dell.to/AidgTv

Please reply and keep me posted with the status.

Thanks & regards
    Vishal S
    #iworkfordell

• Failing power supplies can cause strange issues.

Something like this would be a good replacement: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.    

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community